Sailing In Ambridge

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
jonathan

Sailing In Ambridge

Post by jonathan »

Any Archers listners out there? I would have said fan but I can't imagine anyone admitting to that! Well if so and for a bit of fun can someone try and get a virtual sailing club going via their messageboard.

I tried once but got slung off the boards due to comments made on another topic. I just blew my top at some ultra-smug listings by a bunch of veggie townies who couldn't understand why farm animals have to be killed. My excuse was that I was at the end convalescing after a near death experience and was a tad cross with life, the world and everything.

I am currently on probabtion with the message board (after a 5 year sentence) but need help with this one. It could be fun or just confirm we are a bunch of very sad anoraks!

Cheers
Michael Brigg

Re: Sailing In Ambridge

Post by Michael Brigg »

A sort of Howards Way event on Borchester's equivalent of Barnt Green??!

My recollection of that much vaunted Soap for the yachties was that the sailing became very virtual indeed and most of the action took place in Dirty Ken's Gin Palace.

Sailing Barracuda of Tarrant on a mirror like Southampton water with the entire film crew below decks on the leeward side while the heroine on deck thew herself around like an extra from the Star Treck movie and the camraman tilted his rig for a bit of extra dramatic effect is the experience we have so far of the BBC in Boats! (Unless you count Triangle from the Granada team. Pouting ladies dressed up like airhostesses in a midlands hotel (that's close to Ambridge I suppose) with the start and end credits over an airshot of something like the Pride of Bilbao. (Definately not a sailors favourite ship!)

The sound effects department might be fun though....any suggestions on how to get Fallon
upwind on a choppy beat?
Michael Brigg
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Upwind of what? I think it might be the Home Farm poo digester. The river Am is I imagine as narrow as that at Chippenham so boat classes will be limited. Albacores Merlins i14s f15s and Ospreys are out. N12s Fireflies Moths and Solos could manage this water though.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Yes there is life in Ambridge. Research of the website reveals the not inconsiderable Arkwright lake (Roughly the size of a cricket pitch) in the grounds of Ambridge Country park and also some disused gravel pits at Bridge Farm (The "organic" one) which might be suitable for a lottery funded Community sailing project.

There is even a real sailor amongst the characters all be it a silent one.This would be a good question for a Christmas quiz but its too good to miss so here's a clue: She runs a Sailing Holiday business in New Zealand!

All will be revealed if the Ambridge anoraks amongst you don't come up with the answer first.*

It would be fun to invent a few as well. Eddie Grundie's Great Uncle Uffa Grundy might bequeath his Norfolk wherry to the village as a youth project. There must be a Sea Scout master somwhere in Ambridge to introduce the burgeoning families to something other than young farmers clubs and village fetes. Oliver Sterling must have had his CRB form checked enough times to be a safe option for this and I'm sure Robert Snell as the self made handyman could turn his hand to a boat restoration project when he's not doing the windows at Honeysuckle cottage.

So many old barns. There must be a vintage i14 in at least one of them. Just imagine the line. "Oooh David, whats this over here behind the classic Fergusen TE20 tractor." (Sound: Rustling straw) Oooh it's pre war Archer IV! hull!! Lets revive the Royal Arkwright Yacht Club."

*Answers soon on this string.
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Cant remember her name but its the mother of Kentons brat.

Of course if you really want to stir it up on that forum suggest a badger cull might help Olivers dairy get clear of bovine TB. That would get you banned pretty quick :twisted:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

I suggest a tsunami and wipe the lot out!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Mmmmm - maybe not a good idea Chris - a tsunami would probably have to pass through Frome on its way to Ambridge but I suppose if you were well warned Lois could get into Iska, you could hang onto the back of the Albacore and Spritefull would be able to sail herself anyhow!! As you rush on ever northwards I'll keep a look out for you passing Aberdeen!!

Reminds me of a nice cartoon I saw once of Noah adressing the animals in front of the ark saying "Ok we are going to do this alphabetically" and a voice bubble from the zebras saying "Oh S**t"!!

And another nice story

A husband and wife came for counseling after 20 years of marriage. When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a passionate, painful tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the 20 years they had been married. She went on and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of unmet needs she had endured over the course of their marriage.

Finally, after allowing this to go on for a sufficient length of time, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and, after asking the wife to stand ,! embraced and kissed her passionately as her husband watched with a raised eyebrow. The woman shut up and quietly sat down as though in a daze.

The therapist turned to the husband and said, 'This is what your wife needs at least three times a week. Can you do this?'

The husband thought for a moment and replied, 'Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays. but the rest of the week I go sailing.'
Pat

Post by Pat »

It's OK Garry - Roger would be borrowing SpriteFull :D

And Arkwright Lake would be about Shearwater's size so room for a cvrda event! Job for the next fixtures secretary??
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Roger said:-
Cant remember her name but its the mother of Kentons brat.

Is the almost correct answer!
Mel Archer
Silent character

Description
Mel is the antipodean beauty Kenton lost his heart to down under. Or so we are led to believe. Seldom heard but always in the wings as the mother of his child, it fell to Mel to tell Kenton's parents Jill and Phil about their relationship. The possibility that he married her to gain Australian citizenship was bad enough, but when he tried to turn on the financial screws Mel wisely threw him out.

Personal details
Address New Zealand Status Divorced (Kenton Archer) Children Meriel Occupation Runs sailing holidays
One broken zip is on its way to you Roger for your rabbit fur lined parka.

The "Brat" poor thing , is named Meriel. Born 2001 she is almost old enough to introduce as a lendable crew for sailing events.
Michael Brigg
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Didn't Kenton manage a marina after he left the merchant navy?

I can't remember where he went to college, but they probably had a few dinghies there. GPs or Ents maybe?

That reminds me, are there any ex-RN whalers about that are still rigged for sailing? 27 ft is a bit long but with a (large) centreboard do they count as a dinghy?
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

This will interest you if you're into RN Whalers. I just looked it up on google and out it popped.

http://londonwhalers.org/?page_id=5

I think they do things like the Great River Race etc. Its certainly an active boat. Enjoy the rest of the site!
Michael Brigg
ACB

Post by ACB »

I know the owner of that lovely whaler; he's Dick Wynne, a real enthusiast, who just stepped down as Secretary of the Albert Strange Association:

http://www.albertstrange.org/

Dick is a VGB and the ASA are a particularly delightful bunch - in motoring terms, the Fife owners are the Bentley Drivers' Club of sailing and the Albert Strange Association are the Frazer Nash Car Club. :)

The tenuous connection to the CVRDA is that the Humber Yawl, the boat type particularly associated with Albert Strange, was originally a large sailing canoe...
Last edited by ACB on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

F 3163 "Aquarius",
IC K229 nameless for the time being
I14 K377 "Mercury" - long term rebuild project
davidh

Post by davidh »

Now lookee here young Michael Briggs, all this thar talk of howard's way (apostrophe in the right place 2nd time in a row..yes) just t'aint be proper I tell eeee. The answer is a full trackter load of fertilizer I say, now that be a proper job and all.

Just remember that some of us LIVE in what was charmingly known as Tarrant (christened in the little church at the bottom of the hill I was, straw in hair and all). And yes, I sailed on Barracuda (Flying Fish too) - though I missed the famous night at Bembridge Ledge (hohoho)

Now you be nice to us real locals.... all you incomers are the same!

Granfer Henshall
David H
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Pressing the banter button surely t'aint should in fact be 'tain't? Lose the i of it and the o of not.......... Oh dear.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Cor, the indignity of it all.

FIRST.... I get 6 of the best from Head(web)master Neil for denigrating the East Coast. The fact that the big bully boy of Brightlingsea had been on the phone not an hour earlier giving me gip is not classed as extenuating circumstances! "big boy did it Sir, then ran away" did not save me from admonishment.

Then I get told how to speak in hampshire hog lingo - from a man in Aberdeen!

Then... one of my pics surfaces on the Merlin Website under an Ancient Geek tagline.

I think I'll take up University Challenge - the rules are fairer!!

"oh yes I'm going to be a country boy again"!!

D
David H