Dear CVRDA members,

I have never written to you before, but I really need your
advice.
I have suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating
on me. The usual signs; phone rings but if I answer, the caller
hangs up. My wife has been going out with "the girls" a lot recently
although when I ask their names she always says, "Just some
friends from work, you don't know them." I always try to stay awake to
look out for her coming home, but I usually fall asleep. Anyway, I've never approached the subject with my wife. I think deep down I just didn't want to know the truth,
but last night she went out again and I decided to finally check
on her. Around midnight, I decided to hide in the garage behind my
Merlin Rocket so I could get a good view of the whole street when
she arrived home from a night out with "the girls." When she got out
of the car she was buttoning up her blouse, which was open, and she
took her panties out of her purse and slipped them on. It was at
that moment, crouching behind the boat, that I noticed a hairline
crack where the transom meets the planking. Would you advise West System epoxy or would I be better keeping things traditional and using aerolite? Furthermore is
this something I can fix myself or should I take it to a professional boatbuilder?

Signed,

Perplexed
jpa_wfsc

Re: Agony aunt for classic boats

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Dear Gary;

I know it seems hard, but in these circumstances the best solution is never to patch things up with a quick fix remedy. They tend to leave aspects of the problem undiscovered, festering away like dry rot, untill some day during a crisis of some sort - e.g. a badly executed roll gybe in F5 - the rotten edifice will let you down big time. You could end up all at sea, with nothing to steer a true course by.

No - much better to have it out now in the open air, when you will be able to see clearly what is going on, take note of all the circumstances, and make a calm and rational decision as to the best way forward. Bite the bullet, get her out of the garage, chase out all the years of acumulated junk that has probably been building up, and have a proper look at her. She may just be needing a little bit of TLC to get her back on the straight and narrow again. Worst case scenario - you might have a bit of a job on your hands now - possibly even get her transom out and re-seat it - but it will pay dividends for years to come.

Yours;

Aunt-E Poxy.
davidh

Post by davidh »

If it were me I'd give her a good blowing over with AG's crushed walnuts, strip her down, before lovingly touching her up with a fine bit of brush stroking.

She'll look like new - a good time to sell her quick and still get a good price! You could then reinvest in a SMOD, for like a skoda, no one wants to be seen in the back of one of those!

Go on Mr Briggs - top that...if you dare!

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Dear Perplexed,

You've got a wee problem here and you need to decide wether its a quick fix to last you till the end of the season or if it's something that cant wait.

If you want to do something with that hairline crack right away then Aerolite is just the job. I would quickly get her indoors and assuming your wood is in good condition you can work it into the crack where it will set perfectly well even when it is still wet! You can wipe away any residues straight away and you'd never know the difference. She can have a proper job from the professionals another day.

The problem with West is that once you've started you cant stop. This is a big problem if you find your wood is soft, because if that is the case you won't be able to get it off and you'll never be able to forget it.

Its probably best to wait and see if the crack starts to leak because if you dont know her history then you might even fine she has a rotten bottom in need of treatment so until you know a bit more about what is wrong I'd keep your wood under cover.
Michael Brigg
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

A new low...I'm so ashamed!
:oops: :shock:
National Lampoon's Animal House
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I now know that I am among like-minded souls ........
davidh

Post by davidh »

Excuse me Garry - I thought you were the leader of the like minded souls! Ag may be the worst offender (not me I hasten to add, I'm a good boy) as had the poem he sent me escaped into wider publication we'd all be up on charges of gross moral turpitude. (please will someone explain to me what that is by the way!!)

Will get onto safer grounds and answer the thread on repair of grp hulls.........

D
David H
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Gary I would not worry on either front, the boat will be ok and you've got spares! I am sure your theoretical woman (The real one is a delightful gem and a keeper!) could easily be replaced with a Roedean model I have a list if you need help! (In your part of the world Butterstone is a good depute for Roedean.)
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

This is all getting too much for me, what with all those hairline cracks, and now AG posting on the "remeniscences" thread about Rodean girls and a link to a site about Scottish beavers! (which I have'nt dared to open yet in case it does what the Firefly website did last year after being overrun by Spammers.)
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

I do not believe that you cannot sense a moment of kinship with this thread! You of all people, for with your professional 'eye' you could lay on the hands - saying that you were checking the surface for bumps or voids that needed filling. I bet you have prescription pads filled out already! 120 grit, three times a day, between coatings!

Lets face it, when considering a shapely (hull) form

Dave C would get a ruler and try to measure it
I'd write about it
You'd suck your teeth, tut, before suggesting asprin
Garry R would want to rebuild it
Rupert would find the handicap somewhere (to his advantage)
and AG would know it's exact parentage.

Apart from one more pop at Garry R and his scottish beavers, I think I'll go back to sanding down hulls, it's safer than being on here

D
David H