Boatbuilders

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Keith66

Re: Boatbuilders

Post by Keith66 »

I learnt from my dad & helped him build several dinghies & rebuild several more. When i left school went to Falmouth tech college to do the C&G boatbuilding course. Then went to Thames Marine for a while then Mikes boatyard, J&Js then set up on my own. Decided if i was going to be skint i might as well be my own boss!
Had a few years out being a househusband but cant keep away from the boats so am back in the game again!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

When were you at Falmouth, Keith?
Funny, I stopped and became a househusband, too. Not gone back to doing more than odd jobs since, though.
Rupert
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

I was at Falmouth from 78 to 79 what about you?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I was there in my mid 20's, in 90, 91. The strange thing about doing the C&G course, I found, was doing the class room science and maths lessons, having not done that sort of thing for a few years since school. Some great woodwork teachers there, though. Pity I've forgotten most of it..
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote: ...Some great woodwork teachers there, though. Pity I've forgotten most of it..
Kids today!...

It's just in one ear and out the other! :? :lol:
Michael Brigg
Keith66

Post by Keith66 »

When i was there we had a technician called Sam, big thickset guy who used to sharpen the planer knives himself, he used to finish them off stropping them on the palm of his hand, he also had several fingers missing, actually the result of a bandsaw accident with a hangover when an apprentice. Dick phillips was there, Mr Keverne & the GRP lecturer was Mr Lucas all were superb teachers.
It was a good course though in hindsight too much theory & not enough practical.
It makes me wonder how many people have come through similar courses & gone on in the trade? Being brutally honest you cannot learn a trade like boatbuilding in 2 years & are a fool if you think you can. I went out afterwards & very quickly realised i was a rank amateur, fortunately i had the luck to work with men who were willing to pass on some of their knowledge & life experiences. Working at Leigh Old Town in the early 80's it was still a working fishing village with men who had worked sailing barges, Bawleys & Cocklers, Wildfowlers & all of them characters.
Now the yard i used to work at is a poncy overpriced restaurant and the whole place is a twee dump full of day trippers & has no soul.
Such is progress!