My legs still hurt...BB

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Stephen Hawkins

My legs still hurt...BB

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Looks like I m not really fit enough for this sailing malarky.

My thighs are still aching from Bough Beech - its making ascending/descending stairs particularly arduous.....

...What a 'girls blouse'!

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
jon711

Re: My legs still hurt...BB

Post by jon711 »

Don't worry Steve, I'm the same!! My manager at work follows my facebook, and he knew I was aching...

So today (Well last night really) for a laugh, I was a mover, a full day of pallet truck duty!!!

He has a sadistic sense of humour!! :D

Jon
chris

Post by chris »

Steve, you were lucky...mostly I don't allow the crew to use the jib cleats as on Shearwater and such places you need to constantly adjust! Also a cleated jib will so easily trip up a merlin in a gust.
A few who have crewed for me have gone away with bleeding hands - the lucky ones their blisters didn't burst!
...and we were only using the cotton rags anyway!

If its any consolation my legs are aching abit too.

But I remeber a time at Roadford at one of the early cvrda events with some good winds, just a little lighter than saturday, Lois and I were hiked out it seemed all the race in our narrow merlin and had to spill just for a rest. After the race I was talking to someone from a wide merlin and he said he had to sit up on the side but only leant backwards a couple of times! Arrrgh...not what I wanted to hear!

Maybe no one mentioned the narrow ones can be harder work than a wide one in a breeze! - but I think we did very well indeed on saturday in tricky conditions. So thanks again for the crewing and sorry about the legs.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

chris wrote:. After the race I was talking to someone from a wide merlin and he said he had to sit up on the side but only leant backwards a couple of times! Arrrgh...not what I wanted to hear!

Maybe no one mentioned the narrow ones can be harder work than a wide one in a breeze! - but I think we did very well indeed on saturday in tricky conditions. So thanks again for the crewing and sorry about the legs.
I think you did brilliant, however, the bit about narrow Merlins to wide Merlins, has bruised the ego a bit!! :D Was still living on the adreneline until you posted that. Now I feel I'm not worthy....

Jon the unworthy :wink:
davidh

Post by davidh »

There is one other aspect to all of this......

The big girls blouses aside, Saturday was 'THE' day to have a lard arsed lump at the back of the boat! If I'd been chris's build, sailing a narrow boat, I'd have thought twice about flying the spinnaker. As it was..... when the gusts hit going downwind I just sat out 'a bit' and the job was done!!!!!!

There are not many times when the extra kilos are a good thing.....but gusty days are one of them. Two Shreddies for breakfast helps too - right up until the time I pulled the spinnaker turning block away from the thwart! ( I was only trying to help Jon!!)

Do I need to loose 10kgs of ugly fat before Shearwater?

D
David H
jon711

Post by jon711 »

OOOHHH it is just too tempting, I can not hold back (sorry DH) :wink:

But, as I am such a light weight we need the weight somewhere, and the only way I have ever managed to put weight on was when we did the Wayfarer nationals at Whitstable in late 80's early 90's. BUT, it was not a healthy way to put weight on... Chips every day and SIX cans of Special Brew daily. Needless to say that year is a bit of a blur!!

Jon
Pat

Post by Pat »

I didn't get out on the side much on saturday either and we're a medium width Merlin. I spent much of the time on the end of the thwart as it was a jump up and down day and as soon as I got a toe to the toe straps the gust went and I had to drop down to balance the boat.

Jib cleats were an absolute pig. We had a near capsize because of them sticking but I couldn't hold it all the time.

We were really glad it was a Saturday event as we needed Sunday to recover.