Feeling guilty!

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
alan williams

Re: Feeling guilty!

Post by alan williams »

The Finn sailing is good it's just that I'm getting a lot of crap at work.
Cheers Alan
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry, cheap joke!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Ed.... this is why this thread is in the banter section!

Knowing someone who knew Christine Keeler is very much a card to get you into the game...but then sailnig around Skiathos.... my memory of that place was the beach on the eastern end of the island where anything went - but no clothes!!
(beats Finn sailing hands down)

D
David H
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

I am afraid I do not have any recall of the period you speak of but then I was there!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah yes......banana beach!

so named due to all the banana trees.......not!

not that clothes were exactly de-rigeur on much of the island in those days, certainly not on-board.

My father was happy for all the girls to sun-bathe in as 'little' as they wanted....as long as they didn't use any oil-based sun lotion. Cos.....oil on the sheets was one thing that did upset him!

Strangely enough, Skiathos does play one other small part in the pre-history of the CVRDA.

My father set up an annual dinghy regatta there, running out of Kanapitsa, for the weird selection of boats we had around: A jollyboat, A Wayfarer, A Unicorn (with sliding seat) three minisails (my dad imported to rent out), a laser, later a Yeoman and what ever else turned up. They were a gas, and normally ran over 2 days, with a cruise & party one day and some races the next. All very low-key and it was this event that I very much had in the back of my mind when I first thought about doing a event for classic boats at Roadford.

I was delighted to see recently that the Regatta is still being run and is now called the John Bremner Memorial regatta. The Yeoman still even turns up for it. The Jollyboat (J4) doesn't and ended its life as the bar at the Kapapitsa Taverna.

My brothers hung out with an 'interesting' bunch in those days......I wouldn't of suggested that Christine Keeler was the best known of them!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Cor...it's like having a window to another world. We were lucky to get a weekend in a caravan in Lowestoft.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Post by roger »

neil wrote:Cor...it's like having a window to another world. We were lucky to get a weekend in a caravan in Lowestoft.
Tent in the Yorkshire Dales.. Lake District... wales. It seems my parents liked to go where it rained a lot. :? :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes, it was very privileged :oops:

Of course, you don't see it like that at the time.

After spending a month or more of ever summer through my childhood in Skiathos, like any other teenager, I was just looking forwards to organising my own holidays.....with my own friends.

It was such a relief when I could finally say to my Dad, sorry but this year I am going camping in Cornwall!

But since then, I have been lucky to visit many other 'beach/sun/sailing' resorts around the world, mainly through work and I have always been amazed by how badly most resorts stack up against Skiathos, which really is (and remains) a very beautiful place indeed and of course the absolute perfect place to piss around in small boats.

I almost miss it at times :shock:

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Every year my Grandparents' bungalow in South Wales - you are right, Neil, it was a different world that Ed inhabited!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:Every year my Grandparents' bungalow in South Wales - you are right, Neil, it was a different world that Ed inhabited!
My father didn't like holidays so we generally didn't have them... Must have been about 71 though that we spent a week in Devon renting a flat at mate's rates from an old navy colleague. If my memory serves me right launched the Gull he'd just built on a river or estuary somewhere in Devon on that trip. No idea where though! I'd love to know what happened to Gull 1786. It was stolen, and I do recall some years later seeing Gull 1788 come up on Y&Y, which is a number I didn't think was issued...
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Glad this is banter.....

strange thing finding stolen stuff....

I was surfing once down in Cornwall and scared of loosing a rather nice Tag Heurer watch that I had incredibly extravagantly bought, I took it off and left it in the car.

Of course, the car was broken into and the watch stolen. The irony of loosing it cos I was trying to keep it safe really pissed me off.

Anyway, a few years later, I was looking in a jewelers and I saw my watch. I wen't in and looked at it and I was pretty damn sure it was the same one. It had two scratches on the glass, which I exactly remembered making and I had looked at them enough to remember them.

I looked at the price.....then considered making a fuss......wondered where my receipt was and then just felt a strong sense of 'fuck-it'. I had somehow lost the connection with it. I had moved on. I knew a thief had been wearing it.....and it had somehow lost its magic.
I put it back and left the shop feeling rather deflated.

Soon after, trying to get some of the magic back, I bought a 2nd hand Omega, which has given me nothing but grief!

Sometimes these things are best not found.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

roger wrote: ..(Better drowned than duffers.......)
Ha - '71 I read that book, and had my very first ever sail in an Albacore of Lydstep Beech near Tenby, South Wales. Hook Line and sinker - that winter we went to the boat show and Dad ordered a Mirror Kit (43069) which my sister still sails. We had her built by Easter and the rest as they say, is some sort of history.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

My brother had his company Beemer stolen a few years back. A few weeks later about to get a replacement they found the old one and brought it back. Although pretty pissed off being denied a new car my brother said that the thief had an excellent taste in music as he had filled the 12 CD changer with a good selection of CDs for him!! Before you ask - of course he returned them - or did he? Perhaps it just slipped his mind. But like you Ed, he never felt the same about the car, it having been driven by a thief.