Introductions

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Max McCarthy

Re: Introductions

Post by Max McCarthy »

davidh wrote:max,

it is the most fun you can have when you spend 45 years encased neck to ankle in neoprene!

D
Well, I've managed 5 years so far, just another 40 years of great excitement to come! If I was to end up similar to you!
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Max
Take it from me you really don't want to end up as Dougal. Happy new year Dave. I just could not resist the chance.
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan,

i don't know what you mean!!! I didn't think I'd end up as me either. But look at the people that I met along the way - who still crop up on here.... well there's you, a very young Brooksey (aka Graham Brookes - who was then a slip of a thing sailing out of Solent Breezes...), Roger.... to name a few (the others asked for continued anonimity.....

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Dave
It's good to know that you still have a sense of humour and know a jest when you see one.
Regards Al
Mirror32

Post by Mirror32 »

Peter Barnes. I started sailing in March 2010 at Shearwater Sailing Club with Mirror 26442, Laser 54734 and now Mirror 32. I've been sucked into cvrda by Chris. I have spent many a happy hour sailing in the last two years, making up for 49 lost years before I started.
Like Chris, I too make harpsichords. He makes beautiful, new instruments and I renovate second-hand ones....
2012 is getting off to a great start with a week on a tallship. I hope to beat my personal record of 70 days spent sailing last year. See you all at Wraysbury on 7th/8th July? I don't advise it, but you can see more on my sailing website: http://www.sailpb.com
Cheers Guys!
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Just out if interest, are you related to Jeremy Barnes, recent commodore of St Catherine's Sailing Club?
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
chris

Post by chris »

Peter so you think you might have the Wraysbury date available now?....Fill in the form on the home page - you know it makes sense. I'm sure you can persuade Jennifer she wants to spend her XXth birthday there.
PS my 60th is the next week!
Mirror32

Post by Mirror32 »

Max McCarthy wrote:Just out if interest, are you related to Jeremy Barnes, recent commodore of St Catherine's Sailing Club?
Who me? Sadly there are no other sailors in my family tree.
Mirror32

Post by Mirror32 »

chris wrote:Peter so you think you might have the Wraysbury date available now?....Fill in the form on the home page - you know it makes sense. I'm sure you can persuade Jennifer she wants to spend her XXth birthday there.
PS my 60th is the next week!
Dear Chris,
Wraysbury is in July. No problem. I've filled in the forms and been offered a place unless a Mirror earlier than no32 turns up.
It's the October dates at Shearwater that clash with Jenny's birthday that I can't make. Is there anyone out there who would like to use Mirror 32 at Shearwater on October 7th? I'll be holding interviews with prospective helms when I have a short list.
roger

Post by roger »

Peter as far as I am concerned you are entered. it is a first come first served basis so even if an older boat turned up you would still be in.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Mirror32 wrote:
Max McCarthy wrote:Just out if interest, are you related to Jeremy Barnes, recent commodore of St Catherine's Sailing Club?
Who me? Sadly there are no other sailors in my family tree.
Ah, I thought there could have been a connection there, but anyhow, good luck with sailing!
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

Hi all Im Paul been sailing for 33 years since I was 8 started at Highams Park lake in London in British Moths since then sailed a bit of everything from mirrors to int14s(in the experimental period of asemetric when kites were approching 300ft2, Cherubs too many N12s to remember(love em).

recent projects Partial restoration on BRITISH MOTH 292, N12 3337 both done last year and sold on.

on the prowl for a OK, Been offered a Merlin Smokers sat may do it may strip it dont know yet its rotted on floor by transom due to sitting with no cover.

Have a half share in a E-Boat 22ft Yacht.

On to of this Im a dinghy instructor work at various centres ant Im Trainning Officer at Ardleigh SC

been offered a few N12 projects also I may take on
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Not sure I'm worthy of introduction as I have essentially little to offer and a lot of needs... might be best phrased as a warning.

Mungo Marsden, Biology Prof by trade, never sailed a boat in my life (not quite true I have been told I did sail an optimist pram for 5-10 minutes at some point). I live in the cultural wasteland of Canada (Toronto area). I can blame all sorts of people for my presence here so I will spread it out evenly. I found (OK it was in my Dad's barn, but I still found it) and now own a jollyboat, and that is Ed's fault. I am fixing that jollyboat and I can blame Garry for his generosity that initiated the slippery slope. Once Garry pushed me over the edge Trevor and Rupert have supported my slide into never ending repairs. Chris got me hooked on bladed (planes, scrapers etc) tools, which has evolved into a rather weird obsession (uhm just so one doesn't worry too much the obsession is with tools not Chris). Michael Brigg keeps me laughing and I may even name my boat "bear trap". Many others have provided endless patient advice. I am glad there are many of you as I am sure I become quite trying.

Thanks to everyone for assistance and what often is fun reading

Mungo
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Mungo, I enjoy reading about your trials and tribulations enormously, and I find it amazing that technology these days makes it possible for someone at a keyboard in Swindon to see what someone in the middle of Canada is doing in his shed!

Paul, sounds like you have the boat bug as badly as almost everyone on here (though I think you still have some way to go to catch Solentgirl and Nessa!).

I remember there was an E boat parked in a boatyard down in Falmouth in the early 90's - there is something very appealing about them, maybe to do with the clever simplicity of the construction. Not seen one in years - glad they haven't vanished.
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

Mungo, thanks for making things quite clear!
Chris

I think that's what make the CVRDA so interesting - that we have such a diversion of interests, projects and reasons for doing things.