My new i14

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Max McCarthy

Cutting down sail area?

Post by Max McCarthy »

I was just wondering, if I got the mainsail cut down in size, would this allow us to sail the boat in heavier winds, or do you think it would mess up the sail too much for it to sail properly? I was thinking, if I could get another sail, and then get HD sails to cut this one down to about the size of a cherub mainsail. Or would it be more along the lines just to get a cherub main, and use that instead for heavier winds?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
JimC

Re: Cutting down sail area?

Post by JimC »

Max McCarthy wrote:I was just wondering, if I got the mainsail cut down in size, would this allow us to sail the boat in heavier winds, or do you think it would mess up the sail too much for it to sail properly?
Yes but...
Because the layout of the mast is so important for gust reponse and so on, just cut down sails tend not to sail that well unless you are really cutting down loads. You really need a differnt mast as well I fear.
Max McCarthy

Re: My new i14

Post by Max McCarthy »

I see, I thought that this might be the answer, anyway, she is still great fun in light winds!

Thanks for your help,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
jfk14

Post by jfk14 »

Well done - worth preserving, but you could do well to get rid of that horrible bowsprit.....but that might be the reason for buying it, eh? I measured the boat originally, before the Class went asymmetric....I think it was a bit overweight, but was very stiff....which made up for the few pounds extra. I think Charles Stanley and John Hodgett also sailed it around Anglesey in a moment or two of madness.....
I also measured it again at the World Championships in Japan in the same year....the Japanese were not so impressed, whereas they could not stop stroking James Hartley's Ovington boat, which was No 1200......I think mainly because they felt that 1255 looked a bit less sleek and shiny - not like a new Toyota at all.....
I have some photos of the boat in action, I think.
John Evans
jfk14

Post by jfk14 »

If you want to lose some power, how about seeking out a Dacron main- softer material will give better in higher winds...the plastic sails are unforegiving...
JE
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi John,

I would be very interested in pictures of the boat if you coulda dig up any?

Many thanks,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Canal Sailor

Post by Canal Sailor »

New here and just browsing a few threads.

This 14 is a Hutchinson design. Sailed by Charles Stanley and I think John Hodgart (Hodgy). There were 3 Hutchinsons built.....1255, 1296 (a bright pink boat) and a yellow one for Roddy Bridge. Charles Stanley later won the Worlds with Mo Gray (1997 I think but not in this boat).

They were fast for their time but very difficult to sail. The Benedict 4s and Howlett 1bs around at that time were much easier to sail. The photo at the beginning of this thread shows the measurement winglets (near the trolley wheel).

Someone mentioned a big space frame earlier in this thread. The Hutchinsons had space frames. It looks like 1255 has had hers removed because from memory it was a significant structure.

All three Hutchinson sailed in the big Worlds (150 boats) at Torquay in 1991.

The pink boat got on the front page of Yachts and Yachting being sailed by two very good looking blokes.