Annual awards

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
PeterV

Annual awards

Post by PeterV »

I reckon we ought to decide who the CVRDA annual awards should go to:
Boat builder of the year: 2 points for each major repair carried out, 5 points for each boat put back into sailing condition having been out of action for over 5 years.

Boat tart of the year: 2 points for each boat sailed during the year not personally owned, 1 point for each own boat sailed.

Boat dealer of the year: 2 points for each boat bought during the year, 1 point for each boat sold, -1 for any boat bought and sold within the year.

I score 0, 2, 6;a real amateur!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Nessa

Re: Annual awards

Post by Nessa »

Boats bought - weird prototype, two moths, one kestrel and a 420. Technically the 420 was sold again, but I haven't been paid for it yet...'sold' a europe in much the same way...

Can I have bonus points for boat breaking - not many people need to get the same boat a new mast twice within a few months! That also required some hefty repair work.

Own boats sailed - both moths, kestrel, megabyte (do modern boats count?) prototype....thinks that's it

Other boats sailed - no idea, I sail lots of boats sort of as a job.

How many points is that?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm not sure the rest of us can compete with Nessa...

I've had better years, I'd only score a couple of points.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Umm, 5 points for getting the nearly-Skol back on the water, 2 points for fixing a centreline leak subsequently, but -2 for getting Boodaxe to do the shroud for me? She needs more centreline work and a refinish, so potentially two more points, but not sure whether that will happen this year...

I think only CVRDA boats count for the tart bit so only 1 point there.

2 points for buying the Skol.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Gosh....mmmmm....

the years roll into one so not entirely sure this was all last year.....

I did quite a bit of work on the Minisprint MkII that Roger sold me, but it was on the water when he had it....

I got another Minisprint MkII hull from Rupert, but didn't buy that one....does that count?

I did quite a bit of work on Finn K465 (was that this year or last?), but then sold it, but reckon I had it longer than a year....but maybe not?

Can't remember sailing anyone else's boat....don't often do that...

So, bought 2 minisprints and sold the Finn and Conquest the old IC.

so reckon that is something like: 4, 0, 6,

Like Peter....a rank amateur.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

For multi-boat owners it's been very low points year:
Nothing repaired or put back into sailing condition
+2 for sailing Roger's Green Goddess at Wraysbury, +2 for our own boats - disgusting considering how many we own!
+2 for acquiring the Zoom but nothing sold (do I get a point for having 2 currently advertised for sale on the class website?)

so 0:4:2 - very amateur.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Let's see........

Does repainting, filling and sanding a boat count as a renovation?

If so, then I score 4 for that. However, if not, then I score 0...

For the boat tart one (despite being unsure as to what you mean with this, if you mean, just sailing a boat?) then let's see....

I score 2 for sailing Rogers beautiful hornet, 2 for sailing jpa_wfsc's skol moth, and (if modern boats count) 2 for sailing the comet trio at the whitefriars training weekend, and then own boats sailed.....

Skol moth; 1 point
Fireball; 1 point
International 14 (if non 'cvrda-able' boats count); 1 point
Laser (again if non 'cvrda-able' boats count); 1 point
And of course the AC (as again - see above); 1 point
National 12 (again, see above); 1 point

Now there is the boats dealer one.....

Hmmm....

Boats bought:

International 14; 2 points
Fireball (bought and sold in the same year...); -1 point
National 12; 2 points
And the AC; 2 points

So that is either:

4:12:5

Or:

0:6:-1

Not sure, which one is right, but anyhow, that is what I score! Still pretty amateur though!!!

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Max, didnt you have a quick go in my Aquabat at Whitefriars?Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Ummm.....no, I didn't, my sister had a go though! :)
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
davidh

Post by davidh »

Pah........rank beginners the lot of you.

Work done - NIL

Number of sails - 1

BUT......... in that one time afloat, I sailed a boat beautifully restored by someone else, rigged and prepared by someone else, so my input was minimal. All I had to do was to turn up, change, sail it (getting the wooden rig under the Thames bridges), not break anything, hit anything or otherwise cause any damage to what has to be one of the great iconic boats. Effort - nil, enjoyment - pricelss!

Score on the above - 100%

The Tideway was a 'big' moment for me as it has really 're-connected' me with wanting to sail classic boats again

D
David H
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Been a bad boat year for me, but next year will improve things if Zenith gets finished and on the water and I'll be back in CVRDA mode after some time away.

No sailing, so no points, but the Land Rover count is rising.

Moving over to the dark side and buying SUPs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dinghies/8 ... 1604635384) will put me into negative points territory, but at least I get to use some sexy carbon fibre.

Getting ripped off for the third time by a CVRDA member still smarts, this is the first time it's been a boat. Lesson learned now - everybody wants something for free and the CVRDA is no different from the rest of society as it has its own share of self absorbed freeloading scum hidden away.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

Maybe I should have made it clear to all the budding Lord Levesons out there that the life of the writer is not really one of all play and no work (well....almost). I reckon for each of the hours that I spent on the Thames in Gently, I spent the thick end of a week writing about the experience, editing photos, submitting articles, correcting, resubmitting - it is a process that is still ongoing now!

But as Leveson said, hacks need all the help they can get and so they've made it possible for writers to be like Starbucks, Amazon and Google (except in the amount of money you make) in that you can spread rewards and nasty tax things over a 3 year period - so I'm assuming that the same applies to restorations.

So, although this year the work has been a big fat zero, last year was HUGE with regard to restoration work and next year will be even bigger. Spread that over the 3 years (Neil...this will work for next years efforts on Zenith!) and you're still in positive territory.

Work for next year would mainly be focused around the 'river rat rig' - if this were to happen Roger then there will be a nice Proctor alloy hog stepped mast going begging!

D
David H
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

write off year for me, due to incipient chance of death or worse :wink:

Bouncing back as we speak, and hoping to have 3 boats sailable by the end of the summer.

Yeah, I know, I said that last year too, but one must dream.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Well so far the points are like this:
Boat builder; JimC 7, Max 4 and Ed 4, Nessa's on -2 for breaking 2 masts without good cause.

Boat tart; Max 6 ( no, modern boats don't count), DavidH on 5 ( a special score for sailing a special boat in an iconic race and not breaking it), Nessa and Pat 4 ( Nessa's training dinghies don't count). We're still waiting for the professional to own up though.

Boat dealer; Nessa 9, Ed and Peter 6, Pat and JimC 2, Max -1.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

I thought it had been a quiet year this year but here goes.

In the spring I bought the Bl**dy moth, sailed it at sheawater, and Bristol Avon decided I hated it and sold it fairly quickly.

Roadford quick blast in Hornet 140 on a very windy day.( owned by David Cooper).

Sailed Sprite Merlin 507 Ful Chris` boat in the Tuesday evening series with Chris crewing and won the series (just).

Thames sailing club Merlin vintage open in Pooh Merlin borrowed from Ben Marshall (2nd)

Clwedog Garrys Merlin Gannet 252

Petes Finn for a short while.

Took Shoestring and a borrowed revo Hornet(qualifies as old) to the 60th Hornet Euros at Brixham sailed the revo on the first day and Shoestring the rest of the week. Didnt win anything but didnt come last and sailed every race except the last one when we broke the seat.

Sailed Borrowed revo Hornet(same one) at Bough Beech and broke her.

Sailed Keto Merlin 799 on the Thames at the Tideway.

Bought the mystery Hornet (no number on the hull) and collected her from Nessa who picked her up for me.

Bought Demon (Hornet 575) and collected her from near Harlow today.

Bought Keto Merlin 799 from Mervyn yesterday.

Can I mention all the people who have sailed with me?

David Cooper Hornet 140 at Roadford.

Chris Barlow, Shearwater Tuesday evenings.

Ken Adams Thames Sc vintage Merlin event.

Max Macarthy Shoestring Wraysbury Holt centenary

Gary Rucklidge Clwedog Merlin 252

Dawn Barsley Dale, Hornet Nationals

Kaye Devereux, Tideway

Jonny Tom Thompson, (not supercrew the other one) Bough Beech for a short while before we broke her.

Boat tart and crew tart. Either everyone likes sailing with me or they only sail once and thats enough.

No building this year but have built a new boat shed and built a stock of boats for restoration.

Chris should get lots of points for his truly wonderful restoration of Gently.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353