Updated introductions.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Max McCarthy

Updated introductions.

Post by Max McCarthy »

Well, to be honest, I am a little unsure about this thread, considering there are ever greater numbers of new members to this great association we all love and share. However, it has been two years and two months since the last introductions thread, I thought it might be nice to start one for an updated version of your introduction. For some, it might be two years of the same story going on, and just enjoying sailing, and all the things associated with it.

But, for others..... :wink: ......a lot may have happened in their sailing life!

This is sort of where anyone, such as myself may come in (or anyone else, if you want to post, feel free). This is just a thread for how you have got on recently in sailing, and what you have done, any boat updates, especially those with the biggest, most varied, and arguably most interesting collection of boats; Sami, Nessa, Pat, Roger, Ed, and anyone ( Possibly everyone!) and how you have got on sailing, on your recent endeavours.

I don't know if this is a good idea, just thought, it might be a little fun, to see how your sailing 'career' has developed since your original introduction, in the thread above...

Here is my updated introduction....

Well, gosh, 2 years, has gone quickly, since then I have had a number of different boats, just trying to remember them...well....I have had (from the beginning, and certainly not in order of preferration, as you can probably tell from the first boat! But each to their own, and all were fun in their own special way) the following:

The first I could truly call my own, not the best for actual sailing, but a great boat for fleet racing...almost pretty much anywhere....this of course being the laser.

The second boat, which I picked up was a skol moth, which I painted a little, and did a bit of work on her. The first person I am aware of owning the boat, is Sami, followed by someone in Staffordshire (I am sorry, a I forget their name), then myself, it then got passed on to Pete. Where she is awaiting to enter the fleet of Nessa's.

I then moved on to one of the great double handlers of all time, this being one of Rogers, a fireball K7368, which, in a breeze was a lovely boat to sail, and of course great downwind in a reasonable breeze, with the spinnaker up! This got passed on to someone from Northampton, who sadly wanted to break the boat up, to get the fittings, and rig, although, she was tired, but of course, still fun could be had out of her, but this (as far as I am aware) the end of he story of K7368 sorry Roger.....

Later came the great penny 14, I believe (if I have remembered the correct name) an early Hutchinson design, buit, by ovington, and boy, she is quick, when it isn't too windy for me to sail her! A great boat, but it is with sadness, I come to report that she will be up for sale, my sister going to university soon, and my dad doesn't fancy sailing a 14 at the moment.

Then came along the madish one, my first canoe, an AC in fact, the sail number 249. I sailed her at Bartley SC, which, for those who don't know, is a mere 120 acres, so a little small for someone learning to sail an asymmetric canoe!

I then started building a footy to my own design (see the thread), yes, this long ago! About a year ago infact....but since I have been busy so have had little time to continue with my project, but slowly I have been making progress.

I then around 7 months ago, I started on my plan (which, had been a plan for around 8 or 9 months!) to build a Farr 3.7, and again, we have been making slow but sure progress, I just haven't had time to update the blog! So sorry, about that (if anyone was interested).

Now, moving on to the most recent boating, endeavour....I was contacted by Rob Bell, who was going to repair my canoe, 249 (Aquadizzyact) and he suggested that I part exchange my old canoe, for 298; TimeWarp, and having done this, and sailed 298 since, I can tell you I am truly very pleased with her, and couldn't be more happy with sailing her.

But, one thing, is missing. I have no boats able to qualify for the CVRDA, and after all I started off, I mean, really started off in the CVRDA.....so, although I am not allowed to be on the look out for any more boats at the moment, I would love to (over the summer) crew for someone at a CVRDA event, although, that is really for another discussion!

So, for someone who started off with a family not particularly interested in sailing, and having got most of my family involved, in some way or another, I can say that this particular obsession of mine, has been a brilliant one, and I cannot thank the CVRDA enough for really getting my interest going!

Since, really getting into sailing, and learning it is my true passion, in life, I have done a few events.

This includes my first proper or at least, I consider it, proper event. I have sailed in events before, but, believe it or not, this is the first in the UK, this was Wraysbury 2012 at the Jack Holt Centenary regatta, a truly great event, and a thoroughly enjoyable one. Thanks Roger, for letting me crew, on your wonderful hornet.

I also attended the training weekend at Whitefriars, so thanks both to Rob (trebor) for very kindly taking me to the event, and Rupert, for organising it.

I have also been the the dingy show a number of times, and seen not one, but three of David's talks, two of which on the same subject! But all certainly very good....

Since, I have been to a number of events, including being in my first yacht race, from Jersey, to St Malo, to St Cast, back to Jersey again, making a wonderful three day weekend offshore race. And of course the International Canoe Europa cup, which, I have to say, was a brilliant event, and despite myself sailing very badly in it, it was great to meet other people in the class.

Of course, what has really kept me in the sport is the actual sport it self (that really goes without saying!) but along with this, is the CVRDA, the IC fleet, and of course the people who make up these two great organisations, and meeting (both online and off) so many great people through both organisations. People with just the most fantastic knowledge of anything boat, and people with similar enthusiasm for the sport we love, and tinkering around with (not just sailing) the boats we enjoy, and of course watching people with much better skills than me renovating boats, in beautiful ways.

Since, joining the CVRDA, I have really started to realise my ambitions in life, sparked up by my love of the sport....I hope in the future to continue to go on sailing, and enjoying it as much, and one day, to hopefully become competitive in the sport. And of course, to stay in the CVRDA!

I have also moved to Draycote, for sailing my canoe (much more space there, I can actually go more than 20 seconds without having to tack!)

So, my question is this; what have you done I your sailing since joining the CVRDA, and posting your original introduction? And what are your aspirations in the future, for sailing?

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Rupert

Re: Updated introductions.

Post by Rupert »

Hi Max,

Nice update!

Since my intro, I have done shamefully little...

Much time has been spent at Whitefriars, working with the Junior group, of which I am now Chairman - I think simply because I was there so much. This eats into open meeting time, of course.

However, I did qualify for the Lightning 368 traveller series, coming 5th, having come 2nd or 3rd in some of the events.

I'm sad to say the only cvrda event I got to was the Nationals at Hunts. A good time was had, thats for sure, though the weather didn't really suit the Minisail until the Monday - or maybe that was simply the 1st clear wind I got all weekend! Must do more this year...

I've barely sailed Saskia this year, something I plan to do more of in 2014. With the Minisail Nats separate to the cvrda this year, Saskia will, or so I plan, be coming to Clywedog for the Nationals, and I hope other events, too. Time to take on the Might of Shelly Moth and Fairey Finn in my favorite boat, I hope with the owner crewing! Minim the Minisail will be defending her Nationals title again in July at Whitefriars. The plan is to sail the Lightning up until the beginning of April and the WSC Lightning training and Open, then to switch to a combo of Firefly and Minisail until early July. After that, Juniors and then summer hols before the cvrda Nats. Then back into the Lightning for their Nats in September.

Blimey, the year has gone already...
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Max, good run to Draycote, one of the instructors from Draycote occasionally comes to SVSC, Chris ? , I do not know his last name, he did our inspired to try.
I have also been a member of CVRDA 2 years and Minisail.org.uk for a little longer, I had one win last year and a couple of placings, I hope to improve on this. I did not get to any events last year CVRDA or Minisail, I hope to get to more this year.
I have still only got the Aquabat and an inflateable sailing boat at the moment, but I have been trying to get a decent CVRDAble 2hander.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Thanks for the replies....

It is interesting to see how people have got on in their 'sailing life'....

I am pleased to say, I have now got myself another CVRDA-able boat, which I am rather pleased about....a Spencer 7 (as you will probably have see in various other threads). All she really needs is fitting her out again (using mostly fitting from her) and a bit of a tidy up....other than that she is in rather good condition......

So, now (having got cherub 1658 home) I look forward to sailing her hopefully at a CVRDA event or two....

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337