'Want to do' events

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Rupert

Re: 'Want to do' events

Post by Rupert »

I'd be up for it (as usual dates allowing - though I think it would jump to the head of the queue)
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

yep Rupert me too. makes for a real 'family' event.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Problem is that a significant endurance event can involve meticulous planning and needs masses of logistic back up...

Civil responsibilities and public liability, and the danger of legal redress can make such events almost impossible to manage, and unless significant preparation and safety measures can be proven under robust circumstances, one can easily find oneself up before a beak on a Corporate manslaughter charge.

This is modern fact. Amatuer has become a dirty word, and even the approach of the Royl Ocean Racing Club, that it is the responsibility of the Racing Skipper to decide if he can handle conditions, might I think come under scrutiny in the event of an accident.

In that respect the concept of a "Rally" rather than a race might be the only realistic way in which this kind of event might be done.

I was looking up whether there might be a race around Hayling Island, in Chichester Harbour. There is, but only for windsurfers.

There is also "Cock of the Harbour race." Organised by Hayling Island S.C. @ late Summer, but cancelled this year due to Don't know what.

I looked also for a Round Brownsea Island event in Poole.There is a Round Brownsea + Picnic but that was for the Parkstone Junior fleet and I suspect that the low tide conditions could be treacherous for anything other than Toppers and Mirrors.

It also came up with this...
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... sh-bay.pdf

Even in light winds and on familiar water, disasters can occur with frightening speed. The vagaries of wind and tide mean that a "New" event, without historical experience to fall back on is particularly hazardous or has greater potential to come under scrutiny.

If such an event were to be considered, it would seem small beginnings and participation would be the first step, with entry by private invitation. I say this not to suggest any exclusivity, but out of precautionary counsel.

Perhaps as a starter we could encourage entries on the "Events" thread along the lines of reports on individual day cruises to help pass the winter nights when we are not having our imagination stimulated by varnish and solvent fumes!! :?
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

Round Brownsea is actually quite short and straightforward which is why it's suitable for the Juniors. There's plenty of water there - and pleasure steamers, stink boats etc. You sail half way round it just to get out the harbour to Parkstone's racing areas. More fun is to sail right around the three main islands, past Arne. I've done it in motor boats and moored up overnight there and launched from Wareham and cruised down and back up the river - not very sailable due to narrowness and high banks and traffic. Like Chichester and the Tamar and the Fal estuary it's a great place to explore by boat and a cruise rally with friends would be something we'd try to join.
Sailing the Caledonian canal is another one that has been discussed recently.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are plenty of organizations which put on long distance cruising events - the open sailing canoes, the DCA and many others - I can't see how what Ed is describing is any different, really.
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Sailing the Caledonian canal
I looked into the Caledonian Raid a few years back. my main problem with it was the expense

whether it is still going I'll have to check but at around £500 for the raid you got transport back to the start point and B&B on the course for the 3-4 days it covered. It's a long way to go though, and the weather usually encountered can best be described as 'iffy'
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

As Pat says, round Brownsea is easy. Several times when I was a member at Swanage Sailing Club I sailed my Fairey Finn round Old Harry, into Poole harbour, camped up the river near Ridge overnight then sailed back the next day. I remember one morning trying to work out the withies round the back of Brownsea in the morning fog.

This makes me wonder why I haven't been cruising in a long while, it's quite easy to put a sleeping bag and a tent in a dinghy and go places, we sailed across to Kent quite often with a colelction of catamarans, Finns and OKs when I was young and I've cruised for several days on the Blackwater, Crouch and Poole Harbour. Perhaps its that getting older thing!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'll just be happy to be back in a dinghy..... I'm working on it!

Abersoch Dinghy Week ought to be a primary attraction, as is the Y&Y 'Number 1 event to do before you die' - Salcombe week in a classic Merlin. However, as neither event will look at any variation in PYs, I cannot see it happening.

BUT... if my back holds up and I can strengthen it, I'd love to do 'just one more' great event - the worlds in California would be a great way to say, "been there now and done it, will hang up my trapeze harness".

Then there is the lure of a classic 505 worlds at Weymouth. There are so many old 505s out there that could be saved, no shortage of 2nd hand sails, you could get a great deal of 'bang for your buck'!

Other than that (still keeping fingers crossed for the back).... Roadford, Blithfield...Bosham

Peter V..... I followed your thread with interest; from what I hear, the theme of next years dinghy show is...dinghy cruising!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

the theme of next years dinghy show is...dinghy cruising!
That sounds like the marketing people taking a good look at the state of the market and where they can make more sales.
With racing numbers declining and available time not fitting in with club times as people work different patterns, the idea is obviously to market the appeal of taking a day out on the water in varied places with no overheads of club membership fees or complicated racing rules. But when there's no safety cover either, this does encourage the beginners to take unnecessary risks.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are plenty of organizations who organize cruises in company.

I guess it depends on how cruising is being defined. An actual adventure, or a couple of hours sailing round the lake? Both are equally valid as things to do, but the latter has a far bigger possible catchment. I guess many do the 2nd while dreaming of the 1st. I do, anyway.
Rupert
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Can't think of anything better than camping/sailing round pool harbor in a Dinghy for a weekend in the summer. If you can get or even need permission to land in the quieter spots.

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I don't think there's any encouragement to take unnecessary risks, but I do think there's a current problem of people not being able to judge any risks. When I first set off on a cruise I was 11 and my brother 13, we sailed down the crouch, camped at Burnham for the night then got picked up again the next day Paglesham. I believe the risks were acceptable and managed, but i cannot see many adults doing such a thing today, because they believe dinghy sailing is only safe with a safety boat following them. I've more recently been sailing in the Bristol Channel where the rescue boats of 2 separate clubs have told me I'm irresponsible for sailing out of their patrolled waters and along the coast, on a day with winds of no more than F2. For this reason very few people are going to get in a dinghy today and go anywhere.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I hope that voyages like those 2 chaps did in the Wayfarer will open people's eyes to what is possible in a dinghy. Question is, could you have done the same journey in a rotomoulded dinghy?
Rupert
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

PeterV wrote:I don't think there's any encouragement to take unnecessary risks, but I do think there's a current problem of people not being able to judge any risks. When I first set off on a cruise I was 11 and my brother 13, we sailed down the crouch, camped at Burnham for the night then got picked up again the next day Paglesham. I believe the risks were acceptable and managed, but i cannot see many adults doing such a thing today, because they believe dinghy sailing is only safe with a safety boat following them. I've more recently been sailing in the Bristol Channel where the rescue boats of 2 separate clubs have told me I'm irresponsible for sailing out of their patrolled waters and along the coast, on a day with winds of no more than F2. For this reason very few people are going to get in a dinghy today and go anywhere.
Peter, this reminds me of a weekend trip I ran with the Scouts back in the 70s. From Hythe we sailed across Southampton Water and up the Hamble to Fairthorn Manor (a YMCA site), camped overnight and sailed back the next day. I think we took a Wayfarer and two Coypus. The fun part was heeling the Wayfarer enough to get her under Bursledon bridge :) Coypus were easy, just dip the gunter yard.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Obscured by clouds

unfortunately we seem to have entered an era where 'other people' are outraged and concerned about one's actions even if you are'nt. and seem willing to make life more difficult.

proper preperation, a vessel suitable for the purpose, a plan B [and C] if things change, and most importantly some experience and a degree of caution are more important than any amount of flares, epirbs, radios, etc etc although I would suggest that there are some real idiots out there who have'nt an idea and ultimately cause problems for other, more capable peeps.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
[down to 3!]