seagull outboard

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
trebor

seagull outboard

Post by trebor »

I have a seagull outboard for my tinker traveller, would it be possible to fit a rudder blade to outboard and use it for both sailing and power, at the moment, I stow engine at front whilst sailing
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
jpa_wfsc

Re: seagull outboard

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Yes, possible, good idea? Probably not, as the gear box and propellor would cause a lot of drag.

Many small sailing boats would fix the motor in dead ahead and steer using the boats own rudder, with the outboard clamped on over to the side of the transom. Take care to make sure the rudder and propellor would never touch.

Seaguls have a tilt mechanism - it is not unusual to tilt the motor up out the water when sailing. Can you do that?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
trebor

Post by trebor »

It is a 40 plus, yes it does tilt, I thought about actually attaching the blade to the downtubes
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Tinker Traveller doesn't have the best performance upwind, really. Adding the propeller drag too would seriously hamper progress.
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

You might not be the most popular person around, esp if you are in a sensitive area. Seagulls use a LOt of oil, as can be seen by the slick they leave behind. Traditional and atmospheric, for sure, but not very ecologically sound these days, even with mods and using bio-oil.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
ent228

Post by ent228 »

My Dad attached a large plastic rudder blade to our very slow 12ft cruising dinghy's 3.5hp Yamaha back in the 70's, he wanted to be able to steer the boat without the engine pushing.

Worked ok, "rudder blade" was about a foot square behind the prop on aluminium brackets.

However it really slowed an already slow boat down and if there was some wind and eventually it was persuaded to go, the drag from the shaft, prop and blade caused the motor to tilt up.

We eventually moved the motor over and put the ordinary rudder back on, it worked better that way.
trebor

Post by trebor »

This was just an idea, I may try just fitting it to one side.
The carbon footprint of a rescued 40 year old seagull is minscule compared to even the most efficient new 4 stroke, couple this with a old dinghy, brought back into working order that uses sail as its main propulsion.
Beating is a poor option with this dinghy, you could be in trouble if you had to beat out of difficulty, hence the seagull.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia