A big boy did it and ran away!

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Michael Brigg

A big boy did it and ran away!

Post by Michael Brigg »

Have made the commitment to the IC worlds by starting a 2-boat campaign of my own.. :shock:
Moonshadow s-l1600a.jpg
Secretly very pleased! :oops:
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Re: A big boy did it and ran away!

Post by Rupert »

Tried to get Charlie interested in this, but he seems Contender fixated at the moment!
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Cant say I don't blame him for wanting a Contender. They are on my bucket list.

Moonshadow I hope will be my "training boat" looking a bit more robust than Torment and I will use her as a 'daily use' boat so I don't damage Torment while falling in too much, or testing my ability in the rough stuff.

The boat also has a very good looking trailer and trolley in addition to a nice suit of sails and foils if the pictures are to be believed.

Once I have her cleaned up and set up for a more robust use I am sure I can bring her along to Roadford (or maybe even Whitefriars.) You and Charlie will be very welcome to have a ride. (Though I'm not sure I'd trust myself in a Contender yet.)

My plans this season are based around having a go at the IC nationals and then Worlds in August... :?

Currently working on fitness with a spot of altitude training over Easter Hols 8) .
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Is that a Pyrahna with the bridge deck removed?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Yes it was listed as a pyrahna. I must say I havn't a clue what this means.

I'm sure I'll discover more when I collect.
Michael Brigg
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Pyrahnas were built in the 80s. I think most were delivered for a Worlds in the UK without being fitted out so a number of people bought them and had to fit them out the days before racing started. All carbon, I think mine was the heaviest measured for the 2005 worlds at 100kg. Very solid. I was warned that it all depends who fitted it originally as some boats did not last that long, but the fact the boat is still going means it should be fine.

Here's my old Pyrhana, The Waning Planker - now in Aus as I part exchanged it for AUS 17

More of my old ICs at https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinghies/ ... 8148513053
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh,

and did I mention that I have bought another old IC too....

A Swedish (S51) Slurp built in 1970/71 and sailed by Lars Eric Lungren at IC worlds to 3rd in 72, 1st in 75 and 3rd again in 78.

To be honest, I paid more than I think I should and the condition shows some hard recent sailing, so is currently off the water whilst I rebuild mast-step and various other repairs to do and things to repaint. But, with luck, should be back on water for Easter.

She was re-decked in 2008/9, with new ply carriage/seat. She now has a modern carbon rig, but otherwise, she is pretty original. No carbon in hull, no sliding carriage.

Plan is also to take her to the Worlds in Pwllheli in August. Won't be at the front of the fleet for sure, but hope to get over 10 Slurps, so hopefully should have something to race against.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Pictures my boy!. Great to hear you have made a decision!

1000 words and all that...

I'm currently going to collect mine on 22nd April, so pictures will follow. I hope this will be my after my first training event... Cambridge Head race. (Obviously in the scull not the canoe!) Sadly its on the opposite side of the country for you so I'll be likely all on my own. Last year I was I think the only wooden boat in the entry. As far as Wood is concerned in rowing circles, sadly its a question of "Icabod"
Michael Brigg
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I'll probably be one of your safety boats for the worlds, so please try and keep it upright. :wink:

Having said that we practised a righting technique for those having 'problems' aka inversions at the Masters involving me sitting on the dagger board, and then heaving on the seat to bring the whole thing upright.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

so please try and keep it upright.
Not a chance in hell! :-)

But we shouldn't really need rescuing too often.

The seat is a major benefit to bringing a canoe up again. In fact, I don't think you could come up from an inversion without the seat, but used correctly you can use it to stop the inevitable 2nd capsize after a windward capsize.

But good to know you will be there.

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it