Int 14 #243 photo link - ‘as is’

an area to discuss dinghy developments
chris

Re: Int 14 #243 photo link - ‘as is’

Post by chris »

I was asked for any thoughts on this boat and seeing the Malta boat builders plaque I went through the list from this boat builder. Most are down as designed and build by Vella but the first one is recorded as designed by Morgan Giles and a few features on these photos seemed a bit MGish to me namely the aft thwart, the transom shape and the centreboard case shape. The number and name so far are unknown for this hull, but if it is the one designed by Morgan Giles it would be no.243 built 1932 called Uladh.
Do any other ones built in Malta survive? A comparison with this one would be very interested.
Their numbers would be 346,348,369,430,436,437,439,440 all built at least four years after 243.

Any thoughts?
chris

Post by chris »

Forgot to mention...
It appears to be a single skin carvel with thicker and wider planking than most too.
JimC

Post by JimC »

chris wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 ambut the first one is recorded as designed by Morgan Giles and a few features on these photos seemed a bit MGish
Isn't it very likely, though, that the subsequent boats would be heavily inspired by the only model they had to hand?
chris

Post by chris »

I agree, Jim. I only made a vague connection but it seems to have been taken as confirmed and I would not go that far. It would be good to see for comparison if any of the other made-in-Malta boats can be seen. If they seem to be very similar that certainly would support your comment. But if they are different that could support this one as being a bit more of an individual.
Of course it may well be that no more exist now.
There was a gap of a couple of years between the first one this builder made and the next and last batch, which are down as his design.