Jolly Boat J17

an area to discuss dinghy developments
highburyal

Jolly Boat J17

Post by highburyal »

Hi everyone,

I thought it was about time I introduced myself as I've just brought J17 home and I suspect that I'm going to need much advice along the way of restoring her. When I went to collect her I was v. surprised to discover that she actually belonged to my one of my school friends fathers and that I had actually sailed in her in the late 70's.

Am presently sailing an old 420 (sail no 6383) on the Severn out of Lydney and have a firefly (F2451) in the barn part restored. This boat was found floating down the Usk at Newport Uskmouth SC and pulled out the water, I couldn't stand to see her lying in the yard rotting so brought her home.

Can anyone offer some practical advice on restoring Fairey moulded hulls, or point me to an article on this?

Regards,

Al
scott robinson

Post by scott robinson »

Al,
You and I are (literally) in the same boat. Look down in the forum to the post "just bought a jollyboat". I just rescued J197 from a date with the scrapheap (as I said a few more Montreal winters uncovered as she was and she would be gone). As you've got a few other boats and I've got two young kids maybe we should set a date to get them both back in the water. Having a deadline and some competition might make the process a little more fun and the restoration more productive. way good luck and I've already gotten some good advice from this forum.

Scott
J197
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Best of luck with the restoration work. I have put most JB info. that I have onto a Google page so please feel free to view:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/tchanter
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I gave Firefly 2451 to a chap who worked at a school in south wales somewhere near there. Sounds like something went wrong somewhere...
I'm glad she is now in good hands.
As for restoring Fairey hulls, Ed and I have done a fair few over the years, as have many others on here. The best things about restoring them are 1) the absence of ribs, and 2) holes are very easy to repair, as you just need to make your own plywood in the hole!
Good luck!
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Can we have lots of before pictures of both please?? Then regular updates "during" and we'll all celebrate "after"
David HL

Post by David HL »

Pat there are still before pictures of J17 on:

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/davidhl/ if anyone wants to download them.

Al, congratulations on taking on J17. The coincidences around that boat continue. Not only did you go to the same school as the owner's son, but it turned out, when I went to see J17 in September, that the owner had been to the same school in Yorkshire, as I had, some years after him, AND he was related to man who had been my housemaster there, (the poor long suffering man!)
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

And they say it's the happiest days of your life.

After all aren't we all really just big boys with credit cards. Recapturing the shear enjoyment of our first ever time (in a boat of our own)

This made me think of my days at Itchenor junior fortnight when we had a regular fleet of almost 50 fireflies sailing a 2week series.

(I'm worse after a few beers!)

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/ZmFpcmV5MjA ... kling.html

All you Jollyboats should know the progression in aspiration to manhood.. Duckling,Firefly,Albacore,Jollyboat. Is there a pegasus in there somewhere?

This one needs rescue by the inner child.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Too true...

and the financial value is the inverse.

With Ducklings selling for £2000 and Jollyboats for £200

Never makes sense to me.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And I never got further than the Firefly...what kind of man am I...
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Presumably not on "Old Man" (yet)

I understand that Uffa rather sank the chances of the Jollyboat as the Olympic 2hander when he described it as "an old man's boat," (referring of course to himself) and as a result The Flying Dutchman got the nod.

Perhaps he was getting old by then. It wasn't like him to make an un canny move like that. (Not at all like Ratner calling his Jewellery rubbish)
Michael Brigg
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Pegasus is obviously something of a dark horse here... never grew up and got married ! Most un-respectable. Probably sells leather trainers in the back room of the pub, or second hand cars (with 'haircut' of course).
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Or was Pegasus the "mid-life crisis" fast toy for the boys :lol:
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Still Is (for me!) but at least I can sail it, unlike the IC which is a toy for young agile pre - MLC blokes (which is what I like to imagine I still am!).

:wink:
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Stick with the IC.....it gets easier.

Although have to admit my new IC is much easier to sail than the old Holt Canoe.

Strangely enough, I kinda know what Uffa meant by the Jollyboat being an old mans boat. Things happen nice and slowly in a Jollyboat....you just need to start thinking early as the distance travelled in any 'thinking' time can be rather a lot if travelling fast.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it