Info wanted on Merlin Rocket no 508 & Zenith Class

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Fergi

Info wanted on Merlin Rocket no 508 & Zenith Class

Post by Fergi »

Looking for any info on Merlin Rocket no 508 also anything on Zenith Class no 46 in particular. I once owned both boats in the 1950s & 60s
Thanks
Fergi
davidh

Re: Info wanted on Merlin Rocket no 508 & Zenith Class

Post by davidh »

Fergie,

there's no shortage of info on the Zenith as a class, but specific boats is a much harder task.

It's a tad easier with Merlins, though 508 might be a bit of a long shot too...does it still exist?

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

No known owner for MR508 in 1996 edition of Merlin Book

As I am sure you remember, 508 was a Jack Holt boat built around 1954.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Isn't Chris' Spriteful No 506? Jack Holt's first ply glued boat rather than ribbed?
roger

Post by roger »

Garry she is 507.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Alzheimers!
nprice

Post by nprice »

Bless you :D
Nick
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Bless who?
davidh

Post by davidh »

This may not be much help, but then again, in research terms, it is a starting point.

In the mid 1980s, MR 508, 'Manka' was at Elie in Fife. I have an address if need be.

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

yes ,spritefull is no 507 which was Jack Holt's first glue ply. I asked him about all the screws in the lands and he told me that he didn't have enough cramps and heating strips to cure the glue so he screwed it. presumably 508 would be his second glued hull, although I gather he built thenm in batches of ten.
Fergi

Post by Fergi »

Thanks a lot for the replies especially David H. Yes - M/R 508 was called "Manka" and the last I heard it was at Elie in Fife. I live in Lower Largo, Fife - the original home of this boat - and any address would be most helpful. Regarding Zenith No 46, I think I might have tracked it down in Fife, but how do I find out more about the class?
Thanks
Fergi
davidh

Post by davidh »

Fergi,

I'll get the details for you!

Sailing where you do.......any recall of one of your local GPs who also sails...Dr John Marston.

I helped him out back in the days when he was putting a brand new Marauder/Mirror 14 together. I even travelled up, crossed the border (yes Gary, I got a visa) and helped set up his new sails. What I'd forgotten was just how cold the water is up at Largo Bay.

D
David H
Fergi

Post by Fergi »

David H
Yes-John Marston is still a member of our Club. I remember his Marauder well - it was varnished inside & out as I recall but did he not have one prior to that with a red hull?
Yes - the water is still cold in Largo Bay - check out our website at http://www.largobaysc.org.uk
Fergi
Tim Gatti

Post by Tim Gatti »

Presume you are referring to the Ian Proctor designed 'Zenith' - 14' 6" spinnaker + trapeze boat that came out about the same time as Jack Holt's Enterprise?? Hope so or the rest of this post will be irrelevant!!

My first boat was Zenith Z109 which I bought, renovated and sailed when I was based in Peterborough in the late 70's. I was a member of the Zenith Association up to about 1992 and sailed it regularly at Notts County SC where it was nicknamed ' the galleon'. I was working as an actor at the time and gave her the name 'Live Perfomance' - which she inevitably lived up to.

I do remember that apart from our East of England contingent (8 or 9 boats), there was also a keen fleet in Scotland

At that time Andrew and Teal Cunnington (and their father Bernard) were running the Association - don't know if they are still involved - don't even know if the association is still going. Could try Googling them - I believe the sons are still living in the Peterborough area.

I eventually sold Z109 to someone who sailed on the Severn when I moved up to Yorkshire in 1993 and haven't heard anything of her since. She was a beautiful boat.

I'll see if I still have any old paperwork which might mention the boat number you mention, but I think a lot of it was chucked out when we moved house some years ago.

Good luck tracking her down.

Tim