Agamemnon - i14 869

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

Re: Agamemnon - i14 869

Post by Nessa »

I agree Garry - and that's partly why I've been reluctant to do it myself. I am aware that I'll be paying someone to do relatively unskilled work, but I still can't use my wrist and shoulder properly so I can't do it, I have tried to find 'talented amateurs' to do it locally, but no joy, so I'm paying for it to be done. That being said, most of the scraping has been done, so it shouldn't be too bad. I hope.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

If the quote that you get makes your eyes water more than your shoulder is doing it might be worthwhile giving me a call..... I'm just in the process of taking on a share of the lease of a workshop that will give me the space and 'capability' to do a number of boat related jobs.

I'm unsure yet as to priorities - either the 505 comes in and gets a total overhaul ( I fancy doing some of the winter handicap events) or else it will be a Merlin - I'm not sure yet WHAT merlin but for the CVRDA events next year I want a boat that will allow me to sail all the races in a day without recourse to the tool box.

The five-O should be relatively straight forward as the hull condition is very good. The interior is quite complex but should not present too many problems. I'm hopeful that this will come down to just making good, surface preparation and then painting. Luckily, the proposed workshop is just a few hundred yards from another workshop which is the home of the locally famous 'Whizza' - the master of the spray gun.

The merlin on the other hand could well be an issue. I've looked at several recently (BTW - did you get the number of the boat at GWSC?) and they all seem to share a common fate - the interior needs a lot of work. I'm hopeful that the blasting with walnut shells will do the trick to remove 36 years of various one pot finishes, the hull itself will get longboarded with 80 grit back to something close to bare wood and then the usual epoxy, high build and then spray finish (I'm not worried about not having a varnished hull - yes, they look nice but the boat will need to be finished in the new corporate colours.

There is no reason why we couldn't fit aggie into the programme - in the end, it will depend on the what needs doing and the when!

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote:Paul Armitage for a quote
In Norfolk? In that case I know him. He's an sailing club mate. I don't have any personal experience of his workmanship, but I believe he's had a lot to do with the Rater fleet at Thames SC.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Yes that's him. lots of the classic 14 sailors recommended him. He's setting up a yard just outisde Norwich, so nicely local. I think his wife/partner Karen was a classic 14 sailor.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

Nessa wrote:Karen was a classic 14 sailor.
Karen's involvement in the 14s was a lot greater than that! She was Class Secretary for some years and knows a great deal about the class.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim...have sent you a PM

D
David H