Agamemnon - i14 869

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nessa

Re: Agamemnon - i14 869

Post by Nessa »

Progress here has been held up a bit thanks to a dislocated shoulder making rubbing down etc a tad uncomfortable.... I have made the joyous discovery of the original brass rubbing strake lost in the depths of the garage, however, so it's not all bad!

What worries me, however, is that Christmas and an impending house move not withstanding, the time for applying epoxy is not far off BUT surely I am going to have to wait until the weather gets warmer, bearing in mind the boat lives in an unheated garage - the stuff will never go off satisfactorily, will it?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Epoxy can work well enough as a glue in these temps, especially if you warm it up a bit first and apply some local heat.

I tend to worry more about the 'dampness' of the wood in this weather rather than the glue.

But in my humble opinion it is most probably too cold for laminating and certainly too cold for coating.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, that's what I thought. I shall content myself with working on centreboard, rudder etc, in front of the log burning stove and tv. I have just done my contender board under such conditions and it was a very bearable experience....

I do notice that the centreboard for Agamemnon is really quite small for such a large boat. Although only 14ft long she has a beam of 1.65cm (sorry to do the metric/imperial leap, but a younger other half measured it for me :roll: ) The boat easily fills our over sized garage, widthways at least.

One other question, what do I do about covers? Do I have to pay through the nose for bespoke? (If so, who do the panel recommend?) Or will I be able to make something else fit eg Wanderer cover? And might a Lidl car cover do as a bottom cover for the house move? I am quite worried about this.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sail register breathable covers have done me well over a variety of boats in the last few years. They have a measurement form on their website, but until I get the Tonic back, I won't know what their bespoke prices are like. Their standard prices are very good. Avoid the PVC covers, though, as the proofing comes off in no time.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Nessa,

just from the numbers, possible contenders (no pun intended) are

Bosun - 4.27*1.68
Comet Race - 4.27*1.63
GP14 4.27*1.54
Leader 4.27*1.69

Suggest you see what is in the dinghy park and try before you buy.

Nigel
roger

Post by roger »

Nessa wrote:Well, that's what I thought. I shall content myself with working on centreboard, rudder etc, in front of the log burning stove and tv. I have just done my contender board under such conditions and it was a very bearable experience....
Nessa can I quote you on this when I take the c/b for the gp indoors.
It may get chucked on the wood burner :cry:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Having seen the power of your woodburner, Roger, I'd think the whole GP would be gone in 2 minutes flat!
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Nessa wrote:
I do notice that the centreboard for Agamemnon is really quite small for such a large boat.
Fast boats do not need big centerboards. As the water flow rate is high, the 'lift' produced is also high, so a small board does very well. My IC K78 board is only about 3 foot long and very pointed (like spitfire wing) so the total area is tiny - about half that of a Fireball or Pegasus. Of course when there is no wind and you are going slowly you go sideways, mostly. (Or sail something else, anyhow!).

If you have a BIG spinnaker, and/or when sailing in big wind, use a small board and leave it right down all the time. The center of effort will move forward when you hoist the spin, and if you lift the board (should you have time to anyway!) she will just bear away all the time. If you have a GP14 sized spinnaker and are barely planing then the whole balance thing is quite different and you would usually lift the board at least half way.

Most single handers are quite different - unless they use a big assy spinnaker.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Her own spinnaker is enormous - so big I doubt we will be able to see past it! Since I have a novice crew who has only just started sailing I am hoping to get some smaller sails for us to use according to the weather and our level of ability.

A good tip though - thanks for that.

Do we think the board will be strong enough to be used for righting the boat in the inevitable capsize?

Anyway, yesterday the boat journeyed to her temporary home just outside Hertford while we move house, so all work is on hold for now :cry:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The trick with those old 14 Spinnakers was to have the paddle to hand so that the crew could lift the foot for a peek underneath it!
Simples.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Just for info...

I was looking through the Firefly handbook from 1988 (bedtime reading, you know the kind of thing) :oops:

I found a reference to this sexy lady,Agamemnon's nemesis, his queen Clytymnestra, F29. :twisted:

I wonder if she's still out there somewhere in an attic or garage?? (She was listed as a Bradfield School boat)
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Hi, on the subject of sails we use Firefly sails on J9 for windy days. They look a bit silly but we can sail well, not capsize etc. Spinnaker on J9 is massive too, you cannot see around it so we use a Flying fifteen kite sourced from ebay.

Covers - Pinbax did a bespoke for J9 which was very good quality and they were very particular with measurements and all for the price of a Wayfarer cover due to their winter discount. I bought a North Sails cover for the 505 at 1/2 price from http://www.seateach.com/index.asp and they may have some others still.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Almost two years on :oops: and I have finally given in trying to do this myself and sent photos to a chap called Paul Armitage for a quote. Too much surgery this year, plus other complications.

As a reminder, here are the photos:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f235/ ... Agamemnon/

I just want to get the boat on the water and sailing now, fed up waiting.

:roll:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Be Warned, (from personal painfull experience) that what really ratchets up the price of a professional job, is Hours spent in the workshop.

Scraping off the old varnish. This is the least "skilled work" but takes longest of all the various jobs and so costs more than even complicated joinery. A well tooled boatman can do wonders in a few days, but the scraping, then the rubbing down between coats is the real time burner. :?

It is my experience that the estimate will certainly underestimate this part of the job, and its a part of the estimate that can be changed when you get the final bill. This can create a major rift between the owner and the exchequer. :(

You might try paying one of your younger sailing novices. It will keep him out of trouble, put a bit of earned cash in his pocket, be alot cheaper than a proffesional, and the boatyard would probably use someone with no more skill to do the job anyway, and take a "middleman's" fee for the priviledge.
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

As regards letting a novice at the scraping - if a cmplete dog's breakfast is made of the job by an acquaintance you have no comeback. If you are paying for it then there is. I agree that there is cost to this but I guess that you get what you pay for - and you want the job done well..