Seafire Dinghy

an area to discuss dinghy developments
MartinH

Seafire Dinghy

Post by MartinH »

Currently there is a Seafire dinghy for sale on ebay at what seems a good price, though it hasn't reached its reserve and there ar still several days to go. From trawlling the internet I see they were designed as a rival to the Enterprise, with a PY of 1116 with a spinnaker and were reputed to be very good in flukey conditions. Which should make it an ideal boat for Shearwater!

I know in terms of age the class is too young for the CVRDA, but does anyone out there know how the boat performs?
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
CJR1100

Re: Seafire Dinghy

Post by CJR1100 »

Well had all three boats whilst growing up Mayfly Seafire and Seafly, all great boats to sail. Seafire a little bit easier to look after than the other two.
Th Seafly always seemed to be the best for sailing. I also saw it on ebay, and thought I may take a run at it, but the wise head of my daughter said, I think three boats is enough!
Chris Roberts
Merlin Rocket 3330
Merlin Rocket 2932
Merlin Rocket 2352
National 12 2332(RIP)
davidh

Post by davidh »

Martin,

I too had clocked the Seafire - this one looks to be in pretty good nick.
As the ad says, one of the advantages of the seafire was that it coul dbe sailed normally, or, with the use of the forrard heel step position, sailed as a single hander.
It would not be the only Seafire in the CVRDA. One of the handicap bandits (an east coast man so you'd expect nothing else) has one awaiting restoration.

If you do a search on this site, you'll find many mentions of the seafire - along with a view that I've expressed a number of times that the boat would be brilliant for handicap events!! Yes, better even than those other real handicap hopefuls, the OKs............................ opps, said the wrong thing but only once so hope I got away with it.

For sailing at a restricted water location, Netley, Corus, Brightlingsea even (when the tide finally gets in there) then the Seafire would be hard to beat. At the smaller venues, when the legs between marks are short, you'd have to be pretty nifty with the spinnaker handling to make it pay. But you'd need to use it as you've a lot of wetted area with that long flat run aft.

A good boat to sail, one that would grace any event and woul;d always be in with a chance...sailing of 1116!!!

GO for it!

D
David H
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Hope to get mine in the workshop after Christmas. I haven't decided quite how much to do yet. Tracking down any pictures or details has so far proved fruitless but I think the boat coud be a good one.

Oh and nifty spinnaker handling is second nature to us up here :D :D :D :D :D

D
davidh

Post by davidh »

guess you need the kite more than most Dave...to get you home over the tide before the creek you sail in turns to mud!

Hohohoho

D
David H
Frank Baldry

Post by Frank Baldry »

Looks like the Seafly is still being manufactured

http://www.seaflydinghy.co.uk/index.htm
davidh

Post by davidh »

Frank,

well spotted!

I hope that the hole in the bow is not for (oh the shame of it) - an asymmetric genneker (otherwise known as an essex spinnaker)

I note as well that the PY number has come down a long way - but with a good hull, tis would still be a wonderful handicap warrior

D
David H
CJR1100

Post by CJR1100 »

Ah my youth, I might have to take a trip up there and see them again. Mind you I am almost to scared to find out how much these day's. I wonder where Seafly 302 is now. Having looked at some photos of me sailing 302, my how young I was and what a long time ago thats was. Maybe better left in the passed.
Chris Roberts
Merlin Rocket 3330
Merlin Rocket 2932
Merlin Rocket 2352
National 12 2332(RIP)