Int 14 773

an area to discuss dinghy developments
JimC

Int 14 773

Post by JimC »

A colleague at work has sort of inherited this 14. Can anyone place design, history etc? There's a story attached that she was owned by a gentleman named Savage and did some kind of IYRU Olympic trials in the 50s...
Attachments
i14-773-a.jpg
(23.45 KiB) Downloaded 805 times
i14-773-b.jpg
(27.01 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
Ancient Geek

Re: Int 14 773

Post by Ancient Geek »

She is a "Yeti" design (The chine at the bow and again at the stern (one pinched in one flared out, gives her away.) would have been built in 1961-2 (Probably by Souters.) -(K 754 was 1961.). Yeti the original was designed by Guthrie Penman of Itchenor Sailing Club she had a Yetis footprint on her spinnaker. They were good all round boats that deserved better results than they got - lack of a really top notch driver -certainly never took part in any Olympic Trials of any sort the OLympic classses were set in stone in those days. The FD had just been selected and there was only one two man dinghy, (The F.D). a single hander (The Finn.) two keel boats the Dragon and Five point Five metre. and the two man keelboat the Star.
Mr Savage? may have sailed in one or other class trials but not in an Int' 14.
Simples.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

One other thing, Bill Graham of Tamesis had a lovely Lime Green one crewed by his sister in light stuff they were very quick. This may even be her, Bill and his father finished her from a shell very well indeed.
Simples.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Somewhere I've some details on the yeti designs. Certainly, they were amongst the new breed of boats that started to move the class away from the conservative, though quick proctors.

As for sailing in the IYRU trials, these were held in 1952 and as Ancient Geek rightly says, were responsible for bringing to the fore the FD. There is ample room for debate as to the correctness of this choice, as many thought that the olympic slot should have gone to the 505. Anyone who has a few of last years Dinghy Magazines will recall that I covered this issue in some detail..... with the postbag concensus being that the five 0 should have been given a go.

Since then, the 14 has appeared at Trials, in Garda, when the 49er was selected and again last year, in the trials for the womens skiff.

It comes down to individual likes/dislikes as to peoples thinking about the 14 being an Olympic boat but...having been at Hyeres for the womens skiff trials, the 14 looked and sailed superbly. The bigger question remains though, would it help take 'cost' out of the sport. How 'accessible' would the 14 be for emerging sailing nations? One has to say that if a boat was to be chosen, the RS800/29erXX/Cherub GT60, cost effective one designs and (with the exception of the GT60) with a growing 'footprint' on the international sailing scene.

But this is a digression - your yeti is a classic in every sense of the word and would grace both Classic 14 and CVRDA events. Will it be appearing next summer?

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
In the Seventies Pat Britton and I often raced against Yeti in the Old boats class at POW. We always had the speed over her up wind but down wind she would fly away from us. We even resorted to using the biggest spinnaker in the fleet at that time 300sqft on the old 14ft 6inch host rule with a 4ft 10 inch J measurement. Geat fun but you can't see anything at all in front of you in light airs. Audacity had allot more rocker than Yeti, and I feel that this was the main reason for Yeti's down wind speed. Pat and I were frequently in the first five at the windward mark at the end of the first beat but constantly lost places off the wind. Audacity had a very long Spitflier wing shaped gybing centerboard (original 1965) may have helped abit. Brought back good memories seeing a Yeti here's hoping someone restores it. Cheers Alan W. Finn 424 etc.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Not my Yeti - colleague at work...

He's a very competent wood worker and the plan is to restore her. No doubt I'll have a bit of input. My only reservation is that I am not at all sure that this is the right boat for where he and family are in regards to sailing experience, and rigs and things will have to be thought about very carefully. Maybe start with a set of Firefly sails or (maybe a bit bigger) and a short mast. I haven't seen the boat yet, but I think he said that the mast was wood and had succumbed... From the pics (I've seen them in much higher res than posted) the boat looks amazingly sound for one that hasn't been used for many years, but will need completely refinishing. Not much gear, unless there are any boxes or something, but the large res picture shows a tube bailer!
clibb

Post by clibb »

If she is 773, then she is a Yeti, built by Tough Bros. She was built in 1962, and her registered name was Snow Maiden. An owner, possibly the first, was D Channon, and then possibly it was later L Jones.

Nick C - 839
davidh

Post by davidh »

HI Nick,

if the Yeti joins in out on the water then there will be two handicap bandits sailing..... plus Nessa with her Proctor VIII, will '14s are forever' be the motto for next year?

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

clibb wrote:If she is 773, then she is a Yeti, built by Tough Bros. She was built in 1962, and her registered name was Snow Maiden. An owner, possibly the first, was D Channon, and then possibly it was later L Jones.
That all makes perfect sense... It seems my Savage was misheard Channon, and David Channon gave the boat to my colleagues wife many years ago. She still bears the name Snow Maiden on the transom!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have to say the cockpit of this boat looks very similar to that of my lovely Agamemnon, but the hull looks quite different - hard to judge from the photo though, plus mine is not painted.

I have had some time off scraping this week to give my poor hands a rest and to jaunt down to Devon to collect an essential ebay purchase - the new launching trolley!

Nick, where is your boat kept?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
clibb

Post by clibb »

Here at home, Nessa, in Farnham, Surrey. Give me a call if you want to chat/compare nores. 01252 311982.

Nick C
JimC

Post by JimC »

More Yeti...

I've been to see this one now and on the whole she's in pretty decent order, but there are few significant issues. Now, does anyone know how she would have been built? I'm trying to make some sense of this for the owner, because there's some work to do on the hull skin. She's not down to bare wood yet on the outside and I'm not certain what's going on.

She's certainly not cold moulded in the classic strip sense, but various glue joints and the like make me think she can't be plywood either... Is it feasible that a boat of this era might have been built up from quite large veneer panels - some as big maybe as 6ft by a foot or two feet? It would make a lot of sense from what I'm seeing, alhough it could alternatively be significant veneer repairs letting go. I'm seeing what appear to be butt joints on the outer skin under the paint, few aft on the run, but a great many amidships, especially where she appears to have been T-boned on the port side around the turn of the bilge at some time.

The shape has to be seen to be believed: I don't know what I was expecting for the stern chine treatment, but certainly not a little ledge which is getting towards half an inch at the stern!

Oh yes, the boat seems to have been mostly fitted out with Saylon gear: does this ring any bells? I think it must predate my sailing days. Most evocative are very nice condition tube bailers. My head tells me to tell him to replace them with Elvstroms, but my heart says keep them and risk all the many disadvantages... He needs a set of hatches and hatch covers, but fortunately they look Holt sized...

He's also going to need a small rig and eventually a 14 mast. If anyone down in the SE has say a middle aged Nat12 tin mast and sail that have been abandoned for something more traditional or more modern I think he'll be interested later in the year. A full 14 sized rig is a long way away for his sailing experience...

cheers, Jim C
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

IF it is a proper Yeti the bottom bit of the hull was could moulded in the traditional way with fillets put in (To provide the traditional Yeti shape and idea borrowed by Phil Morrison with his China Doll 12' Nationals, and the topside were Ply just bent to shape a bit like that thing Uffa Fox designed though I think he did the whole hull that way. David East designed sever 12 foot Nationals in the 70's that were made from sheets of ply too. Tough Brothers were more used to building large vessels but did excellent work of the 14's they built.
Simples.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ancient Geek wrote:IF it is a proper Yeti the bottom bit of the hull was could moulded in the traditional way with fillets put in .
Provenance and shape are right for the Yeti, there is no doubt at all in my mind that I am looking at the boat built as 773 by Tough Brothers, but she's definitely not moulded in narrow strips like an Albacore or whatever. Very good build quality, if considerably more substantial scantlings than *I* am used to! I shall find out more when he has the paint off the outside. One of the interesting features is that a transverse glue line/join visible in the floor in the cockpit is around two inches further forward between the chine and the first stringer than it is between the other two stringers and the hog. There are no other glue lines visible in the cockpit other than that transverse one. There could be longitudinal joins under the stringers, but there are no transverse frames to hide anything until you get to the front tank.

On the outside of the shell there are longitudinal glue lines visible through the paint in the middle of the run below the chiines, and there are a number of glue lines, approaching normal could moulding density, visible thorugh the paint in the region of the old impact damage/ area where both chines have disappeared and the boat is completely round bilge.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

The bottom will in one way or another have been moulded with the veneers large panels scarfed too, they were very well boat the Hepplewhite Class allowd sturdy building in those days.
Simples.