MOGO

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Garry R

Re: MOGO

Post by Garry R »

The photograph of the 2006 event of 92 Merlin Rockets sailing down the Thames towards the Houses of Parliament entitled "Rocket attack on London" must have raised some eyebrows!!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

A day spent happily stripping down the MOGO (out damned spots of paint?) has revealed it to be of ply construction, held together by brass screws and fibreglass tape. My questions is (apart from what is a good cure for RSI?) how should I deal with the tape in terms of stripping down? Most of the paint has peeled away simply with the help of a scraper. Other bits are proving more stubborn and I am using a heat gun. I am worried the heat gun will melt the tape and pull it away unnecessarily, yet it is quite liberally coated with paint.

There is not a jot of undercoat to be seen, by the way
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If you take a little care round the tape, it shouldn't be a problem - usually if it lifts with the paint it was ready to fall off anyway, unless you have left the heat on it so long the wood starts to scorch and the paint to boil! RSI I can't help with, except that I usually find cider helps...
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa said:-
Is there a way to tell if the boat is dry enough to paint, other than by feel?
Taking our guidance once again from ",The' ,Scottish' play," I suppose you could say "When the wood needs to come into the House" (you might work in a pun on "Burn 'em Wood" at this point) then the boat will probably be near death.

This preoccupation with boats that have references to Regicide is getting worrying Nessa! :wink: Perhaps MOGO should become another Bloodthirsty King from historical tradgedy. Macbeth and Agammemnon together make a good theme :twisted:
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Oh goodness! A subliminal theme to my boat buying/naming! And the Aged P is called The Phantom Menace - who plots to overthrow the noble skywalker lineage!

On a more mundane note, I have measured the slot and it is 35.5cm long - so far as I understand it a bit too short for a mirror dagger board. Can the board be trimmed?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

A standard Mirror board is just made from a piece of ply so no problem in running a saw down it.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What are you going to do for a rudder?

This may go very cheap as it is not genuine laser:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laser-Rudder_W0QQ ... 240%3A1318
STEVEB

Post by STEVEB »

That looks like an early laser rudder to me, they started off with wood foils, I have a daggerboard in the loft! :lol:
Steve
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

I'm sure help is available for all this, a sort of CVRDA Anonymous we all need help.
Simples.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have been in therapy for so long but am noted as a hopeless case... :roll: I collect either boats or books, and sometimes both, and sometimes books on boats.

The warm weather has meant the stripping has come on well. 8) The boat is simply constructed of ply, screws and fibreglass tape. There have been no real nasties other than a small hole in the hull and a crack, also in the hull, both of which I can repair myself. I will get the whippersnapper to post pics so all can advise if they wish.

Today I am off to Wales in the guise of her going on a business trip, promoted by my interest in going to see lovely Dan (a fellow of infinite taste who also sails a contender) who is donating the British Moth bits which should complete the ensemble in some fashion or another.

I will post details of the Moth bits - sail number etc - when I have them.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I ventured across the border yesterday tyo collect the BM bits - there is a nice looking rudder and centreboard, an ally mast and boom, and a sail made in Westbury on Trym by RJ sails (?) bearing the sail number 511. Does anyone know this boat? Sadly the hull has gone to the great boatyard in the sky...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, well done to Noble Marine for agreeing to transfer insurance from the Aged P to the MOGO ready to provide cover on Sunday should I need it. I got on a topcoat yesterday but it is cold and it has not really hardened off enough. This means the damned thing is still wrong way up on a Finn trolley, thus preventing much work unless I slide underneath like a car mechanic. (Is there a cure for G4 in the eye?)

I am now going to try and sort the rig: the lines have arrived to replace shrouds and forestay - they were stained with rust and when I bent them to 90 degrees they stayed that way :| I am also going to put fittings on the mast and boom, just like a basic topper, so that nothing has to be attached to the hull apart from the toestrap, which was with the boat when I got it, and two fairlead fittings for the aft sheeting traveller - these were also on the boat but I will fit a better pair.

Anything else I need will be 'borrowed' from a streaker which has been handily parked in the garden....she will not even notice.... :twisted:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Good luck Nessa - you can do it! Let me know if there is anything you need to get her on the water and I'll have a dig around in the shed.
John Gardiner once arrived at the Chippenham meeting with the paint still tacky, and went sailing anyway. Can't remember it helping boatspeed too much, though!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Thanks Rupert. I imagine I may well do the same thing! I have found some battens, so I will get them cut to size today, but I am anxiously awaiting a better bow fitting from a slow ebay seller. I'm not sure I trust the existing one!

I never sailed at Chippenham, even though I lived in Melksham for many years. I did once sail my 470 at Bradford on Avon though, including a fast, three sail trapeze reach. We did a bit of tree trimming in the process too!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

G4 in the eye Nessa? I'd be careful coming to Whitefriars then as the good Doctor from Gosport is coming! Now he treats patients like Rupert treats boats. If it's rotten, or just bad, let's cut it out and scarfe in a new bit (I've seen the famous Firefly don't forget.)

One word of "Doctor, my eye" and you'll go home looking like a Picasso painting!!

Be scared...be very scared.

D
David H