MOGO

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Re: MOGO

Post by Rupert »

? Not sure I understand the boat reference?
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert.

I was paying you a compliment! Having seen those Gannet pictures, amongst other boats that you've boat back to life..... then think of nessa with G4 in her eye and our good Dr. from Gosport saying ( one has to think of the 6 million dollar man) 'we can rebuild her' - as indeed he has done with his Firefly!

Whatever happen to the Gannet in the end - did it go east to the Andrew thornhill collection?

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

then think of nessa with G4 in her eye and our good Dr. from Gosport saying ...
...'we can rebuild her'
Does this describe Nessa as a clone of Farrah Fawcett Majors? "Tall with Flyaway hair" (Nessa's description!)

Ah me.! The "Farrah Flick!" :D Happy daze!
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Farah Flick is all very well till your hair gets wet (god forbid) then you can take your eye out with it...

The paint job is looking suitably awful - runs everywhere - the G4 is looking ok, the new halyard (well, taken from my bag of bits) is too short and the rudder fittings won't fit on the pintle or through the gudgeon. I need a hacksaw. Two of the battens are a centimetre too long but the top one (from a dim and distant 470) fits perfectly.

Now I just need to start drilling things onto the mast and boom.

I feel I should be wearing safety goggles.... :shock:
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

She forgot to mention that she has white paint in her hair, shortly to be joined by red paint I suspect. 17 mins and I can apply the go faster stripes.

Piccies up soon - when she remembers her photobucket password.

-The Streaker Owner
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Was that a kidnapping of Nessa's identity there?!
Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday, after which you'll have to get your own user name! And a cvrda qualifying boat...
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

davidh wrote:Rupert.

I was paying you a compliment! Having seen those Gannet pictures, amongst other boats that you've boat back to life..... then think of nessa with G4 in her eye and our good Dr. from Gosport saying ( one has to think of the 6 million dollar man) 'we can rebuild her' - as indeed he has done with his Firefly!

Whatever happen to the Gannet in the end - did it go east to the Andrew thornhill collection?

D
Oddly, the Firefly is one boat that has only ever required planned maintainence - ie stripped and varnished, hull repairs every once in a while, new transom and new decks, but never has she been a wreck like the Gannet was. Maybe that is why I got the wrong end of the stick! At some point, though, the glass tape that has been holding the centreline together for the past 25 years is going to have to come off, so I can find out why it is there! But only when I have another working firefly to use for a year.
The Gannett will be with the MDL collection, sadly, coz I'd love to be racing her every Sunday.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Nessa wrote:the rudder fittings won't fit on the pintle or through the gudgeon
The quickest, easiest and cheapest bodge is to drill out the holes - just keep the drill straight :D

If that is all that is not done by Sunday, bring it anyway and we should be able to bodge it on the day - let me know and I will bring some drills.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That is one step up from "I'll bring a big hammer" I suppose!
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Rupert wrote:Was that a kidnapping of Nessa's identity there?!
Looking forward to meeting you on Sunday, after which you'll have to get your own user name! And a cvrda qualifying boat...
It was! She already has a part share in Agamemnon, so I suppose that qualifies her....though she herself is probably way too young....

I don't doubt some bodging will be needed on Sunday - it all depends on how it goes tomorrow. If it is cold tonight I am doomed because my paint will not harden so I won't be able to turn the damned thing over to do the topside. I have taken care to preserve a number of jack russell hairs and insects in the paint for posterity...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I can't upload recent pics because the files are too large, but you can see some of them here:

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh13 ... otos/MOGO/

Work on the hull is finished and looks quite good. I am having to completely take apart the rudder/tiller/stock assembly, because there is a weird kink in the tiller that raises it to about 10" above deck level - impractical with the traveller strop.

I have re-rigged the mast with 4mm dyneema. Interestingly the shroud plates and mast foot position are in the same place as on some British Moths (mast foot 9' from transom, shroud points 8' from transom). I now need to know what sort of rake I should be looking for, but I'm definitely aiming for a floppy rig a la streaker style. I am worried about the weight of the mast on what is essentially just a ply foredeck, and also about putting on any kind of rig tension at all.

I'm not putting any more fittings on the hull: the sheeting will be old topper style ie aft sheeted with a traveller strop, which for now will not be adjustable. I am going to mount a clam cleat on the boom for the outhaul and another on the mast for a cunningham. Very much keeping it simple.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

With a deck stepped mast you can't have the rig too floppy, don't forget!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:With a deck stepped mast you can't have the rig too floppy, don't forget!
You can always have a line to pull the mast onto the deck so it can't skip the step... The cunningham will do if you can be certain you'll never leave it slack... Or a mast foot a la 29er which actually pins the mast to the boat.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If the deck is a little dodgy it would put a lot of pressure on the mast step fixings, though.
I had problems with the BM rig when it was too loose and I didn't have the shrouds for enough back compared to the mast foot position. The whole rig wanted to go over the bows when running! Solved by moving the mast forward a slot in the step and putting more rig tension on. It isn't so much of a problem if the shrouds are further aft.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World