Historic Merlin

an area to discuss dinghy developments
chris

Historic Merlin

Post by chris »

This links up to the topic of new classes in 1946...and is my next restoration project.
Merlin 16 named Gently was the first championship winner helmed by the designer/builder Jack Holt and crewed by Beecher Moore. The boat won again the following year sailed by holt, was third the next year, then first again, and in the fith year was first agian but this time helmed by Beecher Moore and crewed by Ian Proctor. I think this is still a merlin reord for one particular boat.

(I will upload some photos when I have worked out how to do that !)

The boat has been unfortunately altered quite a bit since those days and then spent a long time hanging from the rafthers of Oulten Broad club before being saved and stored by Dick Batt. It's not seen water for 20-30 years.
The hulls is sound but very dry. the original deck stepped mast is lost and there is an early Ali mast that was hog stepped. This meant cutting a hole in the deck and completely altering the centreboard and case, which in turn meant cutting a longer slot in the keel. My aim is to restore her very carefully back to the original arrangement and preserving all that can be preserved - it does have the original decking still, which at least has never been attached by an orbital sanding machine.
and so on...
Chris b
chris

Re: Historic Merlin

Post by chris »

yw.JPG
(76.12 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
g1.JPG
(124.28 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
g2.JPG
(126.41 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
chris

Post by chris »

Right - i've actually managed some photos!
The top one shows the first merlin championsips 1946 at Hayling Island. Gently is the boat sailing towards you in the top right shot. (and Iska, no 6, then called Replica is in two other shots.)
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Thought I would bring this up as the mast seems familiar.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"