OULTON GULL

an area to discuss dinghy developments
jon711

Re: OULTON GULL

Post by jon711 »

Alan, the two Oulton Raters are always happy to take people sailing in them (believe it or not they have trouble getting crew). To arrange a sail give the WOBYC clubhouse a ring (01502 565619) on a Sunday morning and leave a message for either David Gooch (Crisis XX1) or Eric Pearce (Catastrophe XX2). They are both ex-commodores of the club so everyone knows them, just let them know about the publicity on the CVRDA website, and I'm sure they will arrange a date for a sail. Youu would need to be quick for a sail this year, as the boats are laid up for the winter. Crisis is more original than Catastrophe but does have a bermudan rig as well (although not carbon!).. (I've no pictures of Crisis I'm afraid, she's only just been re-homed, having spent quite a few years in Southampton Water).
Catastrophe.jpg
(78.34 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
I have been asked by the photographer to put a credit to his website in....
Photo courtesy of Richard Johnstone-Bryden (http://www.richardjohnstone-bryden.co.uk)
Last edited by jon711 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

Interestingly the Pathe newsreel opens a quandry that maybe only AG can answer....

We believed that only FIVE Oulton Raters were built, this can not be true as we see from the newsreel that XX7 was sailing??

So, how many raters were built? Was the 7 just a very poor 1 or were more raters built than we know of (or did they miss numbers out?, similar to most modern classes!) And if more than 5 were built, where are they now?
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

As to where they are possible been destroyed possibly in one of the many Broad/River.Dyke side boat houses or garages all over East Anglia.
As to numbers beyond my ken I'm afraid, might Cecil Cubitt or David Hannant or one of the Catchpoles know (To name but a few!).
Simples.
jon711

Post by jon711 »

I think (not sure!) that it was David Hannant that said only five were built. Hope I hav'nt been putting words into his mouth....
(if it wasn't David not sure who did tell me that)

Maybe Jamie Campbell will know?..