Whereabouts of Fairey Finn K20??

an area to discuss dinghy developments
corkman

Whereabouts of Fairey Finn K20??

Post by corkman »

After 40 years I have returned to sailing a Finn once again. My first Finn was a lovely varnished Fairey complete with Collar mast, mast wedge instead of vang and an old Ratsey and Lapthorn mainsail. It went magnificently in Inland waters beating the likes of Venon Stratton, Jack Knigts and Brian Saffrey Cooper at Littleton.

Shame on me - I know! - but I've now got a Devoti; more time sailing and less spent varnishing; BUT I have long wondered what happened to K20. If anyone might know, I thought that CVRDA might be the place. Has anyone got any knowledge of her after aboyt 1967 please?

Craig
"Nae Finnished yet!"
PeterV

Re: Whereabouts of Fairey Finn K20??

Post by PeterV »

I thought I recognised the number. In about 1973 or 1974 Mike Fitzpatrick bought it and painted it purple and lilac (!) He also managed to find a complete sailing outfit in the same colours. He looked as hideous as it sounds. At about the same time he persuaded me to buy a Tiptree Finn and we started racing together at Leigh-on Sea sailing club in Essex. The east coats Finn fleet was quite good then, there were fleets at Leigh, Thorpe bay, Maylandsea, Burnham and Blackwater. Mike moved to Whitstable in about 1976 and still sails there, in a Merlin and Finn. You could try following him up and finding out where the boat went. I am rather surprised though to see that the Finn assoc has allowed nearly all the early numbers to be used as 'personal' sail numbers, saying the boats are no longer in use.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
corkman

Post by corkman »

Thanks Peter. I remember Mike (and Wendy) very well. I was aware that he was in Whitstable but not of the connection to K20. Greatly appreciated.

Craig
"Nae Finnished yet!"
davidh

Post by davidh »

Okay...It's late and I must be tired BUT what I'm about to write may just shock me when I reread it tomorrow.

BUT...... if I found a Fairey Finn.... I'd go for it, restore it and sail it!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Me too, and I'm by far the wrong size. There's just something about them. Sadly, that "something" keeps the price up a bit too high for me, being a cheapskate!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

I am not sure what I would want more, a Gannet or a Finn. Both in my eyes are hugely desireable - I 've always promised myself a Fairey boat, given my family's long association with Fairey's. A crazy thought as I'm trying to shed boats when and as easily as possible so in some ways it would be a matter of timing.

Don't think that there is much chance of either class coming up in the near future (maybe that is the good news!), again mixed feelings..... if a Fairey Finn came up I'd have to start sailing the damn thing.....

D
David H
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

You have put me on a mission now David and as I am on the Finn stand for an hour or so on Saturday, I will be doing all possible to source a Fairey for you.
In all seriousness, I do know of one, in good sailable condition with an excellent record which I can put you in touch with.
Now lets see how committed you really are........
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Would have to be one with roll-in decks and not the chined ones!

I liked mine when I had it (Now Peter's)....

but can't say I ever really felt like I engaged with the boat or the class...

I have promised Neil I will have a go.....but on the whole feel more of a sceptic than David.

Oh....god that has to be the most 'cliquey' post....3 first names like that....

Should really moderate myself.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed,

I think I am going to have to be pretty nifty on the timings here. I have 2 Finn sails 'booked'. One in a uber modern Team GBR Squad boat, carbon rig and all bells and whilstles.

The other sail will be in a classic Finn, courtesy of the one and own Brooksey.

But which should I do first?

Like you, I'm not thinking at this stage that I will fall in love with the boat, for it would have to be very special indeed to supplant the Contender in my list of affections (should that read aflictions?)

But I've said I'll do it - with an open mind and will do just that.... time will tell!

And as for needing moderation, hell no!!

If it was a 'global' piece, seeking or imparting information, then I would take your point. But this is a mail that we all read, we all know to whom you refer and when all is said and done, this is the CVRDA website. Think how stilted the emails would read if it went along the lines of "Mr Henshall referred to Mr Briggs as a charlatan and a Handicap Bandit to boot, a point echoed by Mr Chivers as he sailed away in his even bigger handicap banditry boat - the Seafire". No Sir,.... keep it as is, tis much betterer that way. AG is AG, Nessa is nessa, Mr Witt is neil and Roger is the commode and the CVRDA boat demolition expert....

D
David H
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mr? Mr? I haven't been Mr for 15 years. Mr Witt is my father :wink:

great - you've made me go off topic. I'll have to report myself now.

Though back on topic......I should have K214 sorted when it gets warmer - this was Brian Saffery-Cooper's 1965 Gold Cup boat. Only have to rebuild the mast foot, put in new bulkheads, reattach the foredeck etc. Unfortunately a whole winter's boat building was written off due to work and weather so doubt if it will be ready for Roadford, though my Pata is down the lake if the Finn sailors want to try a modern boat.
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

So that would be a 1964 Elvestrom Finn then. Replacing the one (Ex Vernon Stratton.) that was smashed up in a motor crash.
Simples.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

it certainly is an Elvstrøm. ironically this boat has been in the CVRDA for a 5 or 6 years but remained unseen until last year. Bought by Greg from ebay as a project, then sold to Alistair at Roadford about 3 years ago and to me last year. We think it was dumped on eBay as someone have removed the mast foot, due to severe rot, and removed all the bulkheads in the process this making a very wibbly foredeck with no support. I think at this point it was realised that some serious work was required to sort things out

After much thought the only solution has been to remove the foredeck to insert new bulkheads (and create some bouyancy tanks). apart from this the boat is in great condition. But as the deck will be reattached and painted I'll be giving her a thorough going over. should be on the water for the summer
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

So how many Fairey Finns do we reckon are still about? I've only seen mine and Mark's with rolled side decks and one on ebay for sale a few years ago with non-Fairey decks. There used to be loads about. When I sailed in Essex the fastest old Finn was an old Fairey with a new rig on it. My one, K155 (sold to Torquay in 1979 and I haven't seen it since) was redecked and weighed in about 11lbs underweight. It was very nearly as fast as a Taylor with a North/Needlespar rig.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Non rolled decks or not, I loved Mr Clibborn's (see no first names used...) Finn. Where did that end up?
Rupert
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

I remember your old boat Peter it was owned and beautifully rebuilt by a local boatbuilder with a double bottom and was indeed very quick. It sailed in the Babbacombe fleet, which was developed by Paul Hiles a local hotelier who did the '72 Olympics representing Bermuda, the fleet flourished and blossomed to 12 boats at one stage by the early eighties, but then died with the advent of the Laser.
I regularly sailed at Babbacombe when I was home, but when I returned from the South Atlantic in late '82 Paul had moved into keelboats and Lasers had flourished to the extent that all the Finns had been replaced.
The only Finns I know of in the Torbay area now are based at Teignmouth an modern Devoti and a wooden Warwick which I am hoping will join us some time this year for the Classic Finn Series.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious