What is this sail from?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Graham T

What is this sail from?

Post by Graham T »

DSC00209.JPG
(210.79 KiB) Downloaded 681 times
Found whilst clearing out the old garage at my sailing club - seems to be luff sleeved on a mast that just fits into a 20' container. I don't think the sail is in too bad a condition but I have no idea where it came from.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
admin
Site Admin

Re: What is this sail from?

Post by admin »

Graham T

Post by Graham T »

It does indeed - someone seems to have stuck the class symbol on at 90 degrees but apart from that it looks very similar. Given that we have no Bonitos at the club is this mast and sail of any use to anyone? It is located up at Kielder but I can bring it back to Newcastle for onward shipment....
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

oh! It is definitely a Bonito and looks much better nick than the one her indoors was using this very afternoon! I might win favour if it could be shipped towards Cambridge?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Right Nessa - I remembered at the last minute before leaving the club and have now got a grubby sail at my house - I wouldn't call it good condition and it really needs a good scrub but if you want it p.m. me your address and I will pop it in the post. If when you get it you decide its O.K. then as it came from our sailing club I would appreciate it if you could make a donation of what you think its worth to the clubs chosen charity - http://www.justgiving.com/KWSC

With regards the mast this one has a scaffold like bottom section but the top appeared to be a more flexible section. There is a bend near the bottom but I don't know if this is supposed to be there or not. If you want the mast then we may need to call in the cvrda transport group to shuttle it from Newcastle to you. I will be heading south at the end of July to Cornwall via Bristol for the Osprey Nationals but I don't think this will bring me close to you. The mast is still at Kielder as I didn't have my roof rack with me this weekend.
Graham T
Pat

Post by Pat »

If you want to drop something near Bristol (Longleat actually), we can probably drop it at Hunts at the end of august when we pass by going from Oulton to Clywedog.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
jon711

Post by jon711 »

If the sail can be got to Oulton, then I will be more than happy to deliver to St Ives, it is only an hour away from home. This maybe easier, than Pat interupting the mad dash over to Clwedog, to deliver a sail!!

Jon
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

The sail has already been posted - we are talking about possible ways to get the mast to Nessa as well. It would be a shame to scrap a perfectly good mast having found someone who owns a Bonito. It is a two part alloy mast similar to a Topper mast. Thinking about it I wonder if the boom is hidden around the club somewhere.....
Graham T
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am keen to see the mast as it might be different to the one we have. The boom is same style as a topper ie weird oarlock thing to grip the mast, also looks like scaffold pole, and is very long....in the case of the Bonito the sail also sleeves onto the boom. Little or no outhaul control!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

Same technology (or lack of) as my Bobbin - two part mast and rowlock boom with sleeved foot! I take the main halyard back up from the cleat and over the "rowlock" and tie back down to get a downhaul effect. Must get that back on the water - the paint job's only taken 5 years so far :roll:
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the sail arrived today and looks much better then the one we have - she is almost pleased with it (she will never admit to being fully pleased with anything to do with a boat!) hopefully we will try it out at our Women on the water session next week, pictures will follow!

many thanks Graham,

Nesaa & her indoors xxxxx
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

If this one is better than your old one then it must have been tatty! Glad it got there o.k.

Graham
Graham T
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

well. there's good news and there's bad news......the good news is that she has seen sense, took the streaker for a sail and loved it! For a start she has found she could actually point.... The bad news therefore is that the lovely Bonito, complete with kindly supplied better stripey sail is now surplus to our needs.....

It would make a good blasting boat for someone quite large - the sail area is phantom sized - but I can't see that anyone would want to race it.

What shall I do? :?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

We have also now picked up the mast (we were just passing Kielder Water on our way home from oop North.) It is quite different to the one we had; the top section is thinner and lighter, and the bottom section has a pronounced bend - but deliberately so I think. A bit like a l***r 4.7 bottom section. I think this will give a much better idea of wha the sails should look like. Shame there was no hull, because some pictures show a centreboard as opposed to a dagger board. It would have been interesting to see if the KW boat was such a one.

Anyway, most importnatly the boat is now going to be easier to sail and still on the water. Thanks very much Graham!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Great to meet you at last Nessa and glad to get rid of the mast to a good home. Hope you enjoyed Kielder despite the rain. If you ever want to sail up here just let me know.
Graham
Graham T