Who´s that boat?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
shipshape

Who´s that boat?

Post by shipshape »

Dear all,

Let me just introduce myself, I am Enrique and I am currently setting a boat building and repair business near Santander in North Spain.
A few weeks ago one of my clients brought this little beauty to my workshop. Apparently she was brought from England more than 30 years ago.
I don´t knnow if then or when the rig and the centerboard case were removed, and since then she was used as a rowing boat and for many years too. When she started being too leaky and the owner didnt have anyone to do the repairs he stored her in a country house for 10 years or more (luckyly in a dry and airy place) until a few weeks ago somebody gave him my card.
Yesterday he came to have a look at the hull peeled inside and out, and he is completely into putting the old rig back wich are fantastic news for me, because it will means building the spars , the rudder, the centerboard and the case.
The thing is that I don´t have a clue of what class she could be if any. She is 3,52 m (11ft 6,6in) long and 1,47m(4ft 10in) wide, and the centerboard is more a daggerboard, because the slot in the keel (closed with sika and a piece of pine) is only one foot long. Also as you see she´s got a very characteristic transom going a bit tumble.
Other interesting feature is that the ribs are rounded, and torwards the bow they stop being parallel and go like the tip of an arrow pointing aft. The craftmanship shown through out the boat is amazing, and after so many years NOT EVEN ONE RIB IS CRACKED.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. If you need to know any other mearurements please let me know. I know where the mast goes and the point where the shroud would be attached because there´s a fitting left but nothing else.

Thank you very much in advance.

Shipshape.

Ps. Please check the pictures in this facebook album, they were aparently too big to upload here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 686ad806cf
Michael Brigg

Re: Who´s that boat?

Post by Michael Brigg »

Axe OD?
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

Hello Enrique and welcome to the cvrda. There are many classes of boat similar to your boat. Each area seemed to have its own slightly different design suitable for their own condtitions. So it could be one of many types. There may be someone here who will recognise it.
Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hola Enrique, que tal?

I am often in Asturias, on my next visit I will try to come and see how the work is progressing and maybe take some pictures!

The comments that have been made so far are very helpful - there were so many boats of this style built around the shores of England, often with just small variations to help with specific local conditions. An Axe One Design would be a good starting point.... I know of one of these boats being restored in the UK so will try to get some more details to send to you.

If you need any help getting the rig sorted, with the production of the cotton sails, I know people who do this sort of work.

Good luck with the boat

David
David H
shipshape

Post by shipshape »

Thanks very much to all.

I have been having a look at the axe OD, and it´s true it looks pretty similar, only that the daggerboard, seems to have a bit of sideways movement, and in mine i think it would be more an up and down thing; as I said there´s only room for a 30cm wide board there. Would it have a weight in there? Would it be metal?

I think it would have a rig as the axe. I have measured from the bow to the mast step mark and it is over a meter.

I am quite familiar with the plans of the international twuelve foot dinghy which is a cat boat with a single gunther sail, if I didn´t get the terms wrong, and the mast is only 42 cm aft of the bow. I think that shows my dinghy should have a head sail.
Thanks for your offer, David, you are very welcome to come and have a look when you are in the area.

Thanks again,
More ideas?

Enrique
davidh

Post by davidh »

Enrique

Can I also suggest that you the following

http://www.svod.org.uk/

It is not that I think your boat is a SVOD but the rig may be of interest to you.

Sometimes, on the inside face of the transom, the boat builder would leave a small plaque (sign) with his details on.... have you seen anything like this on the boat that you have?

The only other way to find out is good old fashioned detective work.... finding out from the owner if he can give any ideas as to where the boat came from in the first place.

Good luck though, I am sure the boat will look lovely when you have finished it

Where will the boat be sailed when it is finished?

David
David H
shipshape

Post by shipshape »

Hi all,

David: Beautiful boat the svod, amazing how many of these classes there are. But yes I love the rig.
Sorry, no boat builder plate, that would have been too easy. I talked to the owner this morning and he said his mum remembers that his father bought it from somebody here in the area that already died. In any case he remembers the boat being around the family for at least 40 years. And never rigged as a sailing boat.

Today I dismounted the keel. You could easily rock it from side to side, so it had to come out.
I also emptied the daggerboard slot, and it loooks like she sailed a lot before she went rowing.

Also I am realizing that there are lots of ferrous nails through out the boat as if somebody had said "let´s just give it a quick "re fasten" and use it for another couple of seasons"
They were in the keel from the hog down and there are lots from the end of the planks into the transom and stem (bu**er).

Should I open a new thread in another section to talk about the restoration? Because I would like to hear people´s wiews on many things...
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

If is about boat-building and restoration.....I would start a new thread in that area :-)

see you there.

eib

ps if you want to show some photos.....and please do! you will have to either size them quite small with lots of compression....or even better put them on Googlepics, photobucket or wherever and link from here.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
shipshape

Post by shipshape »

I thought so. See you all over there!!

Enrique.

But if anyone has another idea of what boat she could be or about the rigging, your views are still very welcome!!
tnks
shipshape

Post by shipshape »

Hello

I am still thinking about this boat. Someboody told me about northumbrian cobles. Apparently they have a tumble transom like Bonifaz.
And also I understand there are other cobles from other areas.
Please enlight me. :shock:

Pictures at[url] http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 686ad806cf

thanks

E.
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Generally the North East Cobles have a much steeper Tumblehome to the transom than yours. However the bow and waist do look similar to a tyneside Coble.....
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club