Bill Kempner on Fireball

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Ed
Site Admin

Bill Kempner on Fireball

Post by Ed »

I know we have talked about this photo before....

but I see that the Fireball magazine has this photo in it:
fireball-kempner001.jpg
(23.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Of Bill Kempner sailing a Fireball single handed with just a sliding-seat for company.

Reckon the seat would need to be double the length to make it work :-)

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Bill-Conner

Re: Bill Kempner on Fireball

Post by Bill-Conner »

Bill Kempner the "father" of the Fireball (That is to say the man who marketed it.) and the preserver of Chippendale Boats (Of which he was financial supporter.) by his invention of the licensed builder system the Fireball Class had in its early days clearly from the photograph it did "work" but it was no more than Bill having a bit of fun.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Bill-Conner wrote:Bill Kempner the "father" of the Fireball ...
... clearly from the photograph it did "work" but it was no more than Bill having a bit of fun.
I have seen this photo before. In Davidh's article on the IYRU single hander trials...

http://bearfacemedia.co.uk/single_hander_trials.aspx

Scroll down one picture and there you have it.

I am sure Dougall will be along in a flash to give you the whole story, but clearly there's a bit more to it than just "having some fun. :D :D "

(Although it does look to be just that.)
Michael Brigg
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Ed
Does work as a kid I often used to sail a Hornet single handed normally when my sister was unavailable to sail. A long battern from an old fullbatterned sail fasterned to the tiller used to make it easy. You could even fly the kite.
Cheers Al
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

I'm delighted the photo has been noticed (thanks again to David H for allowing me to use it) and provoked comment!

I used it to draw attention to a plea for assistance in completing the UK Fireball Association's results records. Briefly, I am trying to locate full results lists for a great many National Championships (events held in the 1960s and 1970 are, predictably, proving the hardest to find) and track down old copies of 'Fireball News' and 'International Fireball' (virtually everything published before 1987). I'm also looking to create a photo archive of photos of Fireball personalities and their boats from yesteryear.

So, if any CVRDA members are able to assist I'd love to hear from them. In the first instance please e-mail me at cdwt9538@btinternet.com or through the 'Archivist' e-mail address on the UKFA site: http://www.fireballsailing.org.uk/

While writing I should take the opportunity to say that I am conducting a similar exercise on behalf of Fireball International. If anybody has full results lists for Fireball World or European Championships from the mid 1960's right through to the 1990's please let me know!

Chris Turner
Fireballs 6 & 66
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I have a copy of Light Craft with a report on the trials, including that photo...... interesting having recently bought an early Fireball (No. 573). I am also about to go and collect that ToY with it's (easily removed!) sliding seat....and as I haven't yet persuaded my other half that I won't drown her, I may have to do a bit of experimenting :D
Sami.
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

Hi Samantha,

Congratulations on acquiring a vintage Fireball! When you have a moment would you mind entering details on the UKFA Register of Boats? http://www.fireballsailing.org.uk/regis ... gister.php (membership of UKFA not required).

Please may I have a PDF copy of the article you refer to? Thanks in anticipation!

Chris
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

we have a yukky brown plastic fireball here at Hunts which someone said once belonged to Martin Wadhams who did rather well in it. can't remember the sail number though.

There's another classic too, which sailed in our cvrda open last year and will do again this year - as will the above.

Bring them all along to race with us!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

Yes, I remember Martin sailing a 'chocolate brown' boat. I think it was called 'Clever Clog' or something similar. He was indeed successful; from memory he took it to the Europeans (in the days when the UK team had to qualify and competition to do so was hot). I'll see if I've got some details lying around and will let you know.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hi Chris,
I've just managed to mess up my email account completely while trying to synch to my phone and can't send emails at present, and I have no scanner, but I will try and sort out a copy of the article in some form for you. Happy to register my boat too.
Sami.
roger

Post by roger »

There was a thread on SA about single handing a furball a few months ago. I must say I am tempted to give it a go. Mainly so I can get some practice before asking Nessa for a go in her contender.
Nessa if Shoestring isnt glued back together by Hunts i will bring the fireball.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

the 'chocolate' brown boat is now called 'plastic fantastic'. I will check the sail number at the weekend.

Roger, I would offer to crew your fireball, but apparently I'm in charge on the day.....I'm convinced the M boat will be ready, it would be good to pitch it against the furballs.

(collective fingers crossed for me tomorrow folks - seeing the surgeon....)
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
whacko!

Post by whacko! »

Hi Nessa,

Martin Wadhams campaigned FB12369 ('Clever Clog') in 1979. He was second at the Europeans (held in Sweden), 15th at the Worlds (Holland) and attended the UK Nationals (Hayling Island) but I don't have a results list for that event.

If the boat in your dinghy park is indeed 12369 it isn't on the UKFA's boat register ......... would you be able to arrange for it listed, please? We're trying hard to record the whereabouts of as many boats as possible!

Chris
davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris,

do you want any details for...

if so shout and I can fill in some gaps

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

My information too was that this was more than just a 'bit 'o fun'....

Having conducted some interviews recently with some of the (remaining) involved people from that era one could be forgiven in thinking that it was all quite so cheery and happy go lucky in Fireball land....

D
David H