Can anyone help please? The Osprey, some information?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Howlin

Can anyone help please? The Osprey, some information?

Post by Howlin »

Hi all,
Firstly it's nice to be back sailing again, I've finally got over my health issues and am raring to go!
I hope the Finn at Roadford is keeping you entertained!
I am now sailing locally at Tata Sailing Club(formerly Corus) and I've got a Phantom(I know, don't say it!, but, it takes my weight, a big open cockpit and I like it!), but more importantly I'm also hoping to sail a MKIIa Osprey. My question is, does anyone have a good history of the Osprey they could let me know about? Especially the MKI to MkII and then MKIIa. Timelines, differences etc. The Osprey site is good, but, I'd like a bit more detail if I can get hold of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If I can sort out the road trailer I'll do my best to get to the Cotswolds and join in the fun!
Thanks in anticipation,
Simon.
Graham T

Re: Can anyone help please? The Osprey, some information?

Post by Graham T »

Of the top of my head and therefore probably completely wrong..... As far as I am aware there was only ever one MK 1 built for the Olympic Trials against the Flying Dutchman and Coronet. The Mk II was the production version built by or supplied as a kit from Bell Woodworking. The MK IIa lost the rear bulkhead from the cockpit to try and lose a bit of buoyancy as she floated a bit high when capsized. The Mk III (1973) lost the stern deck completely and carried the side tanks to the stern to help with GRP construction. The Mk !V is the latest production model from Hartley Laminates with the design updated for foam sandwich construction by Phil Morrison (interestingly last year was the first time in 4 or so years of production that a Mk IV won the nationals). Nick Jones the class chairman is a mine of knowledge and seems to know the history of each individual boat off by heart - he is really helpful and I would suggest contacting him via the class website if you need any more information.
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Pat

Post by Pat »

Enjoy the Osprey but keep the killer shrimp safely confined please! :(
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Simon,

good to see you back on the water. Try Pete Blanchard(pierre on the Y&Y forum) He sails Ospreys and has lots of contacts. There was a chap in Cornwall, his name will come to me soon. I will try and find his emal address. He had an old mk 1 or 2 and was quite keenon the history.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Welcome back Simon, are you still planning on a visit to Roadford, or would you prefer me to run the Finn trailer back to you.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious
Howlin

Post by Howlin »

Thanks everyone for your information. Much appreciated.
Graham, no worry about the trailer. I'll come down and pick it up when I get a chance, absolutely no rush.
Regards,
Si