Gull Mk1 Info

an area to discuss dinghy developments
bobshe

Post by bobshe »

Hello, very newbie here. I posted this at Dinghy sailing and was recommended to post here as well. I have recently bought an old ply Gull. Great little boat to sail, but needs a serious refurb over the winter. The owners assoc seems to have moved - no reply to my contact. Anyone know of a new source of info, or current contact. I have luckily found a local Gull, with a very kind owner.He has even sent me a copy sheet from the original plans (sheet 4)!! BUT I don't want to pester this guy too much....does anyone have the other 4 sheets? Or other info? I have to relocate the aft mast stay and make a new support, the forward shroud position is lost, and other bits and bobs need work. You may realise from this that I am sailing with the mast in the forward position(with a gib - bad?) and the shrouds in the (I think)aft position!!! Or is this correct as I have an alloy mast (bermuda rig), not gaff? Best regards.<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">
JimC

Post by JimC »

There never were forward shroud positions per se. If you look at the frames that are in the way of the thwart, you should see a hole about half way between thwart and gunwhale. The shroud ties on with a lanyard to these holes.

Strictly speaking if you are sailing una rig you ought to have a larger mainsail, but I don't suppose one of those has been made since 1959! My father might have a set of drawings somewhere but considerable hassle to find them - he leaves 60 miles from me.

I have a very original wooden gull (for sale as it happens) and some reasonable interior photos handy.
bobshe

Post by bobshe »

Thanks for reply. I have seen another Gull with two positions, one hard against that frame, the other about 6 ins aft. Mine only has the one 6 ins to aft. I have tried sailing today without the Jib - "unbalanced" is all I can say. I am now a bit more sure that the setup I have has been altered to suit the bermuda rig - but until I can rebuild the aft mast stay I won't be sure! If you could send me pictures of the stay position and the mast support on your Gull I would be very grateful.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I have an old copy of "Light Craft" that details changes to the Gull mast, I think it was made longer at some point. I'll see if I can scan it for you

regards

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
JimC

Post by JimC »

OK, here you are. Note this is a very early boat which hasn't ever actually had the shroad anchorages for the aft mast fitted. I think in the early day they might have been expected to tie the mast to the rowlock holes, but the setup in my opinion isn't really up to the loads.

http://www.cherubpres.f9.co.uk/gullmast.jpg
bobshe

Post by bobshe »

You are a gentleman - thanks JimC for photo.