Xmas Advent Calendar- Guess the Boat

an area to discuss dinghy developments
jpa_wfsc

Re: Xmas Advent Calendar- Guess the Boat

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Doh forgot about that cvrda ineligible thing - the guess I pm'd confidently a while ago has obviously now gone overboard.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

JimC wrote:Do I detect hull damage in a glass hull? Or is it more superficial than it looks?
I think that is just a reflection off the trolley or something else near the hull.
JimC wrote:I think there may be just the start of a cb/daggerboard slot at the trolley cradle, which looks as if it belongs to the boat. That hull shape and the apprent cb slot (which suggests that its not a keelboat) makes me think the reason it doesn't make CVRDA status is because its fairly recent, although the interior looks older.
Why else might it not be eligible: not a racing boat? Not a sailing boat? Not Old.. Could it be a prototype of something like an ISO with that U-bow, flat aft section? They have a very short lip behind the transom where the hull and floor are joined together.

I think photo 9a is a centerboard just inside the slot gasket (the hull around that being cropped away in photoshop).
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

National 12
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

The outside looks a bit like an RS300, and the inside like a particularly awkwardly constructed 60s International 14 with decking added... The history of this one will be rather interesting I think.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

or is it actually a hornet?

shall I jsut throw a grenade into a barrel of fish?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

Nessa wrote:or is it actually a hornet?

shall I jsut throw a grenade into a barrel of fish?
Nessa you have seen the underside of Shoestring. No chines in that pic
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I now have an excellent view of the boat in my mind, but cannot for the life of me think of an historic boat that looks like it... I think there may be something missing from my education...
Rupert
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Until I realised the extending past the transom could be boom overhang I was very stumped! So, Nessa is right and its a N12. All wood or perhaps composite... There is as I thought a central tank double floor, but no side tanks and a low bow tank (the floor runs forward). Maybe like crusader or Diamond? http://www.national12.org/class/Rough%20Diamond.htm And if its a genuinely historic 12 then there are several possible key one offs e.g. "Punkarella" but I don't know them to identify them.

We had a one-off very like this at Whitefriars, but she was a 4 plank boat and rig loads caused her to adopt a negative hogging (bow and stern lower then the front of the CB case).

Am I right? only time will tell, and presumably tomorrows picture will confirm that I am totally wrong. :oops:
j./

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Doesn't look right to be a 12, somehow, and any 12 with innards like that would be pre 1985, so would qualify for cvrda events. But, might have to eat words, who knows...
Rupert
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Delete.
Last edited by Max McCarthy on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

I'm with Rupert on that one, more modern national 12's from Punkurella onwards (or there abouts) were much more open planned, and not with all this deep hull, etc. as which is often found on a more cruising type dinghy. Hence my ideas it could be a yawl of some sort. But then the hull shape doesn't seem to want to comply with this, and then all these other factors about this and that.
This really is a great idea, and is even mind boggling some of the great experts to be found on this forum; it is just a very interesting topic, and has caused lots of discussion and debate.
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Possibly an Uffa Ace or Chichester Harbour 18?
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
LarFinn

Post by LarFinn »

Well it reminds me of my old cherub...with the 9ft long spin pole stowed along the boom it used to be longer than its 12ft length.
Andi

Finn GBR75
Merlin3241

Post by Merlin3241 »

Whoooa. That sparked some debate. Max is right, a lot of fun here. I'm enjoying researching the dinghies I'd never really considered before- jpa_wfsc suggestion of a Peter Milne Virago is interesting. They're in Burrett. A 22ft ply space ship with twin trapezes in the 70's? Wonder if there are any around still. I've still to find anything on a Chichester Harbour 18. Several people think Korsar. Ed and the Spearhead. Larfinn and the Cherub- I had one of those, monster of a pole sticking out of the back, with a plastic rowlock for the connection to the rig, much like a Topper boom. Built of ply so thin that if you fell over your knee was bound to go through something.
Also for jpa_wfsc & Nessa the confusion of pic 9a. I didn't mean to confuse or confound, so find a new pic for clarification. Same clue applies as went with 9a, but I'll add it's fixed in the boat, doesn't move and is approx 25mm dia.
And yes, that is damage to the finish under the bow but not too bad. Cautionary tale and I should know better- don't ever just assume that because you can see there's carpet over a bow cradle that it actually extends out of sight between the hull and hard bits of the trolley. It didn't and in the long tow down chewed a hole in a brand new undercover and started on the hull. All will be sorted before the first race in the new year, along with many other happy bimbling bits.
Anyway, after yesterday I feel confident enough for another hull pic.

Day 12:
Attachments
mystery boat 11b.JPG
mystery boat 12a.JPG
(21.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

This is all very confusing.....only just caught up with the last couple of days, and I had been thinking along the lines of the ISO style transom lip to explain the measuring clue, and she looks a fairly modern hull shape.....judging by the size of the trolley wheels in relation to the hull, I'm guessing she's about 15ft?.......but what's really throwing me is the lack of chain plates.........is she una rigged like a Finn? A bi-pod rig? and how does that fit with what appear to be spinny launch points .....unless those deck cut outs are something else. The fittings also look to be from a boat bigger than a 12 or Cherub...........so I'm no closer.........but I guess she was designed post 1965, thus the non CVRDA eligibility. I'm starting to think we won't get this before Xmas!
Sami.