Percy Blandford design : Nymph

an area to discuss dinghy developments
stotty

Post by stotty »

Hi all
In UK temporarily and just picked up a hard chined skiff like dinghy about 11ft 6 X 3ft 6 sail number 112 has anyone any details or leads to find more info re this beast.
Been lumbering about various search engines with no luck - think she dates from late '60's / early 70's!
Help me please!
Salut a la angleterre!
Tony s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Percy Blandford's "Sailing Boat Recognition" has a fair amount of detail. The bare bones are Length and width as stated, 50sq ft gunter rig, design published in light craft in 1965, and in 1970 there were more than 700 of them, though he also says the highest number is 595. Can be flush decked or have a small cockpit, and an unstayed mast. Looped toestraps along each side of the deck.

I did see one once sailing down on the Yealm at Newton Ferrers, and she looked rather nice, though very old fashioned!
Rupert
stotty

Post by stotty »

Thanks Rupert
I suppose your comment about being somewhat old fashioned applies to me also.
This is a well built piece - however I presume one of previous owners was not too sure about the unstayed mast there now being two eyebolt pointsby the bulwark just aft of the mast position and also two at the corners of the stem both cables being secured by shackles at the mast and rope at the bolts a la mirror forestay!
Can try and post pics if anyone interested!
tony s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
stotty

Post by stotty »

forgot to add this example has a cockpit!
tony s
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Very few boats (or people) don't look old fashioned on this website!
Otherwise we'd be posting on the 49er site...
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Don't worry about it - I am sure that a lot of folk would think that the dinghy owners here (as well as their boats) are staid!! But visit a CVRDA event and there is ample proof to the contrary.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just went to the 49er site, and it hadn't been updated since 21st March...not so up to date, after all...
Rupert