Rule changes for better or worse

an area to discuss dinghy developments
MartinH

Rule changes for better or worse

Post by MartinH »

In the "Mirror, Mirror..." thread Ed said
It is interesting how so many classes seem to shoot themselves in the foot in the later stages of their popularity, effectively hastening their doom. Maybe some have brought in rule-changes which have truly re-vitalised the class?

Maybe another thread with examples of both would be interesting.
I am sure that the more knowledgeable here can produce better examples, but may I put forward the Graduate as a class which appears to have re-vitalised itself after de-nationalising about 6 years ago? The new rules allow a high aspect main and modern materials for the sails, in addition to dangly jib pole and inboard sheeting . In 2006 attendance at the Nationals had dropped to just 7 boats and there were fears for the future of the class. Last year and in 2009 there were 32 entrants. Maybe not enough to confirm a resurgence in the class but perhaps enough to show the decline has ended?
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Rupert

Re: Rule changes for better or worse

Post by Rupert »

The Grad does appear to be an exception, at least so far.

The Minisail, it will suprise no one to learn, implimented rule changes just as it vanished...
Rupert
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

How many classes has this happened to?
Other classes must change rules and be fine. The Merlins would have to
Be a good example of this I would think? Especially as the class
is growing still (more boats ordered last year than previous few)
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
JimC

Post by JimC »

I think the most ridiculous old sheds seem to be able to survive as classes given a good exec and keen sailors, and conversely what seem to me to be very decent boats have died as classes for the lack of those things. So really I reckon class rule changes are pretty low down the list of what affects a class life...
Last edited by JimC on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think the deathbed rule changes are a symptom of poor, last minute panic in many cases. The Grads appear to have thought things through a little, or at least had a man with marketing power on their side. The same goes for the Streaker, which had big ructions about rule changes which, to the outside observer, were pretty small, but appears to have garnered much interest in the class.

The Lightnings, too, have made changes, and the class seems pretty happy with them, and it has raised the profile of the boat a little.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

sadly, the list of those classes who have messed around with their rules and 'lost' most of the ethos of the class is much longer than the list of those (the Streaker and Grad being good examples) who have got it right. However, the use of the Streaker and Grad as good examples just highlights how important the role of a supportive builder has become in the modern world of dinghy sailing.

The Lightning is another boat that has benefited from close support from an 'engaged' builder. The flip side is that I can also think of a goodly number of instances where the wrong builder has equally 'done ffor' (or at least read the last rites) of still breathing classes.

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi David
Prime examples being the Hornet and Javelin. The Hornet making the mistake of not finding a supplier of Revo kits. Then moving on to only glass boats with three very expensive buliders who were only interested in completed boats and making large profits. Also the fact that the Hornet has avery long competative life has not helped. The class assoc. did very little in the face of the growing threat of SMODs, failed to be proactive on recruiting new members, looking for cheaper builders and encouraging the existing fleets. Hornet Sailor for 40 years and it's sad to see the results of such folly.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The changes the Fireball made in 1995 to allow glass boats to be built more easily is a good example of a class working with suppliers - they did see off the Iso. And NOT sticking a bowsprit on the front - also a good call.
Rupert
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

There are I think several factors at play here, for better or for worse.
• The innactivity of class associations, which leads to a class being on “The Liverpool Pathway”.
• The only hope for these classes is the CVRDA.
• What designates a class rather than a one off?
• One has to say that some of these classes never had much going for them, and it is I think at least arguable that some do not deserve to survive. They do however need recording for posterity’s sake. Again the CRDA provides probably the only accesible data base, and knowledge forum as far as it is able.
• Extreme pro-activity that leads to over-development of a popular class, the International 14 which went from being a gentlemans conveyance (Albeit for nobs ‘n’ snobs – a gross oversimplification but largely true.) via first one, then two trapezes thence to amalgamation with another class and finally being consigned to a very small, yet international, niche. The Mirror is potentially another to go from from a very decent small boat that can be sailed by all ages, performs very well for its size, may be built at home, sailed for fun, cruised and raced at all levels from small club to international. Though with the Winder 3 (Redesigned by Phil Morrison.) to potentially an expensive ovedeveloped boat. It is small enough for children big enough for at least some adults. I do hope the Winder boat has not killed the class I fear it will.
• Good husbandry, of which the Fireball, Firefly and Merlin Rocket are fine examples where progress is made (If progress it be!) but slowly, well thought out and with universal approval.
• Other classes like the Graduate, and Streaker were never numerically that large and whilst having been succesfuly resucitated are still realistically in intensive care, especialy in these fiscally challenged times.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Bill-Conner wrote:and Streaker were never numerically that large and whilst having been succesfuly resucitated are still realistically in intensive care,
Be careful with your assumptions. *If* my memory serves me correctly I recently saw some data which suggests that the Streaker is one of the more actively raced classes in the country, and a lot more popular than some much more high profile classes. I don't have the data in front of me, but as I say I *think* that's what I saw. Certainly a number of the classes on the list were quite a surprise to me.
davidh

Post by davidh »

jim,

no, you're spot on! The Streaker has always been able to maintain a loyal and active following in numbers that took me by surprise when I looked at them for an article on single handers a while back. Nor were they ever really on 'life support' though new build numbers had dropped. The key thing is that the 'new' FRP boats are being matched performance wise but some excellent new wood boats - the one I saw at the dinghy show was lovely.

I think part of the success is that it was one of Jacks last designs and he'd already seen how things were going! His arch rival Ian Proctor had already made his famous "weight is only of value if you're building a steamroller' comment, hence the Streaker is a light boat, even in wood.

Just a shame it doesn't carry weight or I'd be sailing one now!

D
David H
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Ian Proctor may have said it, but it was first coined by Uffa Fox "weight as such, is usefull only to the designers of steamrollers".
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Rather then the classes and there rules, surely its the modern world and technology that risks doing damage to a class?

In most classes, as far as I'm aware, the GRP boats are generally quicker than those of a wooden design. Even in classes where there is a minimum weight the advantages in competetive life and weight distribution are greater for those with the pockets for a plastic hull.

With this new technology there are new costs that push classes beyond most people and even second hand boats command a high price unlike their depreciating wooden counterparts. The step in initial cost from a woodie to a plastic often seems huge even if the maintainance is cheaper and you retain value, it is a big sum to cough up in the first place.

Without active vintage classes surely those classes that are doing well would be heading the same way, as even enthusiasts must want to have a competitive race. This is one of the things I enjoy about the CVRDA, along with the clubs and people, it is nice to know that the boat I am sailing has been given a handicap on its merit. Not something based on the performance of a shiny new speed machine.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven