Buss and Elston info please

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rupert

Re: Buss and Elston info please

Post by Rupert »

Ed wrote:You might be right.....I wasn't suggesting the Merron was made here. To be honest, I can't remember. According to the ad below they were made in London.

This is the Merron: http://www.woodenships.co.uk/small-craft/merron-dinghy/

There used to be two in Bristol Harbour Dinghy Pound. I think they were sold by someone around the Bristol area.

cheers

eib
That is lovely, and it does look like they were British - another aeroplane Autoclave? I'd love that boat, but the price is a little steep for me.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Michael4 wrote:While on the topic of moulded dinghies can anyone make a guess at this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131088577838? ... 1423.l2649

Michael
"Just needs a lick of varnish...

Pretty boat, but needs rather more TLC than that.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I wondered if it was an old Finn that had been put to other uses?

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I know about eBay tape measures but it looks much too short too. I think 12 ft might be right.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
chris

Post by chris »

......so nobody knows anything about Buss and Elston then?
roger

Post by roger »

apparently not Chris :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Sorry
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Someone who might know is Laurie Smart?

Ricki is not so far away from the Thames.... I am sure he would of known them, or at least about them.

Afraid I am not sure that I have any contact details for Laurie at the moment, but I am sure someone could pm them to you. Maybe as an ex-owner of Iska, you have his details anyway?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks Ed, I'll follow up.
JimC

Post by JimC »

PeterV wrote:I know about eBay tape measures but it looks much too short too. I think 12 ft might be right.
Might it be a shelled out and modified Firefly hull? although the keel looks odd.
chris

Post by chris »

I've found one reference that says that Buss and Elston marketed some boats under the name of Vee-Root Boats. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

The info comes from this old forum comment from several years ago :

An old friend rang yesterday, he's bought another project; a double diagonal(!) mahogany skinned electric canoe, made by Buss and Elston of Watford, marketed under the name "Vee Root" boats. It did have an electric motor, and there are some fittings, but he would like to find out what make of motor it could of been.

I've looked in my MB&Y, there are several small adds for Vee Root boats in the 1940's after the war, but no more details. The adds were for dinghies/sailing dinghies and the like but no canoes. (There is one internet add for such a sailing dinghy now). He's drawn blanks at the Watford Museum, but the IOW museum at Newport had a manufacturers brochure, unfortunately didn't give the information he wanted.

Anybody know any more about these?

For those that know him, its Nick Liddiard, quite a well known boatbuilder in The Thames Vintage Boat Club/Trad Rally circles, and around the Sunbury area.

Its interesting to see he mentions double diagonal skin, this is the same as my 14.
Tommyv

Post by Tommyv »

I have a film of Charles Curry, Uffa Fox,Chichester Smith at Itchenor preparing for a Fourteen Race pre war
regards
Tom Vaughan
Jon Rawson

Post by Jon Rawson »

Web page www.watfordmuseum.org.uk/links.html has a number of links to other sites such as the Watford and District Industrial History Society www.wadihs.org.uk Perhaps the museum or one of the other local groups might be well placed to assist if contacted?
chris

Post by chris »

I've followed up some of these leads, thanks.
It seems they were not in existence long as records don't show them in 1940 or 1949 but there is a record of them in 1947 with an address.
Makes me wonder just how jack Holt got involved with them just after or during the war.
stuey_b3

Buss and Elston info please

Post by stuey_b3 »

Hey hey.
I have a 12ft hot moulded double diagonal (Spruce / Mahogany) sailing dinghy built in or around the 1940's. She has the builders plate Buss & Eslton on her and the markings Vee-Root.

I have been reading up on Buss and Elston but cant seem to find out anything on them building 12's.

I was informed that she was built using similar tech to De Havillands Mosquito planes and Uffa Fox the Dinghy designer was mentioned as well.

I have had her in storage for the past 6 years and was suppose to be a restoration project witch has not materialised.
The lady I got her from had early stages of dementia so only snippets of info made it to me.

*Any info on these builds would be great.
*Is she a collectable?
*Would any one be interested in her as a restoration project? ( as I have no time or money to bring her back to life)

I will post some pictures this afternoon.

I look forward to hearing about her life and creators.
Many thanks
Stu.