What is this?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
WillW

What is this?

Post by WillW »

This wooden boat arrived late last year. We don't know who brought it down, but possibly if we knew what it was we might find the owner. It would like (more than) a little attention.

It is 14' long, has the number 862 stamped just aft of the centreboard. That top plank by the bows is a bit over 10" wide.

Many thanks,
Will
Attachments
orphan2.jpg
14' orphan from the stern
(74.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
orphan1.jpg
14' orphan from the bows
(32.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JimC

Re: What is this?

Post by JimC »

I've never seen a 14 built with wide pseudo clinker planks like that, and I 'm a bit suprised there aren't tanks under those side seats, but everything else about it, including sail number, says 60s i14 to me.
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

It's an Wyche & Coppock Proctor Mk 5 Clinker built Int' 14 the second or maybe third attempt by Wyche & Coppock to build competitive clinker 14's.
The first in the late 40's begat the Rocket which in due course amalgamated with the Merlin Rocket class.
WillW

Post by WillW »

Many thanks. I shall go looking for a 14 which joined last year.

I had discounted 14s as I thought they were all smooth skinned since long ago.

Thanks again,
Will
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I have heard of these "clinker i14's and always wanted to see one. They must be very rare. :) :) :)

Any chance that you could take some more pictures of the lines of the hull, detail of its structure, rig, maybe even its performance etc.

...and if it is abandoned, let us know, in case there is "room at the inn" for what must be an interesting backwater of i14 development.
Michael Brigg
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

This boat would date from the 60's Jeremy Pudney had one briefly.
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Incidentally Mike "Development" would suggest it was a line that went somewhere, this did not for performance and in Int 14 terms aesthetics too!
WillW

Post by WillW »

Michael- I'll let you know what happens to the boat, and try and get you some more pictures. There isn't a mast or sail that I am aware of. However, in the gallery there is this which looks to my eye similar, and even has a similar sail number:
http://cvrda.org/coppermine/displayimag ... fullsize=1

Will