National 12's of the 60's and 70's - Knowledge Please?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Stephen Hawkins

Re: National 12's of the 60's and 70's - Knowledge Please?

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Yes,

I agree with Rupert and Michael, get it on the water as soon as you can.

It sounds like I am nit picking on what a very well turned out boat. But make no mistake, it would have been mine had I get there first. And if the tank is water tight it would be staying.

I was just talking to Jim Aldis (An N12 designer/builder and an accomplished helm) about his N12 Rhapsody, on which he had a rear tank removed - But that was just his experience with that particular boat. For everyone considering removing a rear tank, there will be another one thinking of fitting one.

My favorite N12, Sparkle, has a few odd things fitted to it that I cannot do much about without a serious amount of work. Its beautiful side decks have been desecrated where a previous owner has fitted rollocks for oars. He also strengthened the transom to take an outboard - would you believe it! All the work done to a very high standard and difficult to do anything about, but.....What was he thinking? Its a racing dinghy!

Might be an idea to take an experienced crew out with you when you first launch, if it is at all fresh. Just to allow you a chance to get a feel for her. It lighter winds she will be a dream.

cheers
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A nice wide 12 almost has outriggers for oars, doesn't it?!
Rupert
Itchen Ferry

Post by Itchen Ferry »

Very Good Rupert.....

I've no intention of removing the rear tanks, that's why I asked if it was ok to put bags inside? I think the white hatch covers are a later addition, hence the shavings, shown in a couple of the gallery pics?

http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/bikes ... 20-%201973

The front tank also has a white hatch cover, but its cut into the original 15" x 5" wooden "door" of the front tank, which is held shut with a ring of machine screws around its perimeter.

As mentioned the vendor is an experienced sailor who has agreed to help me get her afloat and rigged, we've arranged to do it on 20th Sept so that I can make a shopping list and a to do list. All the rope and hardware look to be 30+ years old and the sails, signed and dated in 84' are consistent.

A contributor on the N12 forum remembers the boat from Staines SC and said the hardware and fittings looked original.

Thanks

DF