National 12 - design?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Hotspur

National 12 - design?

Post by Hotspur »

Interesting looking N12 on eBay. It's a four-planker, single floor. No mention of a sail number or a design on the page. The shape looks Mike Jackson-ish to me - a Cheshire Cat or perhaps a Tiger, with that tall stem and high foredeck but that radiused transom makes judging the shape of the stern a bit harder. The low rear tank is more a feature of 80s boats (Baggy and Crusader era) but might have been retro-fitted. Don't think it's a Final Chapter, I think they were a little wider at the mast.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sailing-dingh ... 1317698523

Any ideas?
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
stuw

Re: National 12 - design?

Post by stuw »

It's an amateur built Baggy Trousers designed by Rob Peebles, number N3434 I believe
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

stuw wrote:It's an amateur built Baggy Trousers designed by Rob Peebles, number N3434 I believe
Thanks. Interesting, I could have sworn I could see another chine on the side on image. Bit late number for a Baggy isn't it? Mine was N3342, and that was lateish.
angus

Post by angus »

According to the hand book it is a baggy trousers, the last one built. But looking at the pictures it appears to have too many chines for a baggy and the transom looks rather chapterish to me. It was Amateur built so could well have been modified. The National 12 handbook says it is built out of a material other than wood!
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
Dare Barry

Post by Dare Barry »

This boat is N3424 which I built in 1997. It was the first Man O War design that I built, just to make it look different it had a curved transom, a lot of work but a bit of fun
Dare Barry
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Thanks Dare, now it makes sense! How many Men O'War were there?
Dare Barry

Post by Dare Barry »

Over the years I think I have built about 15 Nat.12's. The last 8 being to my Man O War design, the latest is N3521.
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Is it based on the Chapter? What was the design philosophy? Did they go reasonably well?