Wayfarer W3

an area to discuss dinghy developments
aviateam

Wayfarer W3

Post by aviateam »

I wanted to share with cvrda members some pictures of a Wayfarer I bought which has turned out to have an interesting history.

She was being sold by a gentleman who had bought a house, and with the house he 'inherited' a Wayfarer hanging in the garage roof!

He decided to sell her, and from her measurement and other paperwork it showed that she was a very early boat, W3. On closer inspection she appeared completely original, right down to her almost as new condition standing and running rigging, running blocks, deck fittings, mast and even split pins - but sadly no sails!. The 1957 rubber bungs were still in place and she lay on her original trailer. Her wood had a beautiful mirror pattern and much care and craftsmanship appeared to have been lavished on her during build. The Small Craft badge was still in place as testament to her builder's skills.

After I purchased her I asked if I could contact the previous house owner and ask about her history. I had few expectations, but later I received a message from him confirming that his father had bought the boat in the early 1960s, that she was the first production Wayfarer, and was used by Ian Proctor as the exhibition boat to launch the Wayfarer to the pubic at the January 1958 Olympia Boat Show. After he last sailed her, he stored her in his parent's garage roof for well over 35 years until today.

I plan to do as little as possible to her and to sail her gently with the family, keeping her dry stored out of season. I'll keep cvrda posted and let you know how she sails!

(PS Does anyone have a set of Wayfarer sails they don't use?!)
Attachments
W3 5r.jpg
W3 2r.jpg
W3 1r.jpg
Last edited by aviateam on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jpa_wfsc

Re: Wayfarer W3

Post by jpa_wfsc »

WOW!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

There's usually a few on ebay, or put a wanted ad up here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/

or the class website:

http://wayfarer.org.uk/

an important boat, that.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Very nice. I suspect you may be eligible for the CVRDTA...after all, who else has their original trailer?!
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

What a fabulous find! Thanks for sharing
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A great find - thank you for sharing!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Michael4 wrote:Very nice. I suspect you may be eligible for the CVRDTA...after all, who else has their original trailer?!

I have the original trailer for Mah Jong but probably not as old as the Wayfarer one.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

AviaTeam,

This could be a more important 'find' that you at first realise!

2018 may seem a long way off but with 2015 just a couple of weeks away, in truth it is not that far out.

2018 I hear you say? Well, it will be the celebration of the centenary of the birth of Ian Proctor. In 2012 we had the Holt Centenary and that brought with it a number of really great events - I have to say that my expectation would be that the Proctor celebrations could be even bigger.

Being in possession of such an iconic boat (in terms of the 2018 event) will, I am sure, make you a popular person indeed!

best regards

Dougal
David H
chris

Post by chris »

I hope you can bring it to some CVRDA events we usually have at least one wooden Wayfarer along.It would be great to see her.
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Looking forward to CVRDA and 2018 once she is up and running. I found a period spinnaker yesterday that seems in good shape, but still no main or genoa.

I would have been pleased with finding any period Wayfarer in reasonable shape, but feel very lucky to have found this one. I had no idea of her Proctor history when I decided to buy, so now there is a responsibility I had not foreseen. We are lucky to have the CVRDA where we can share our experiences.

I am attaching a picture of W3 in, I believe, the 1960s (when she had sails!) supplied by her previous long time owner.
Attachments
W3 Sohngow 6r copy web.jpg
chris

Post by chris »

It might be worth contacting some sailing schools to see if they have any unwanted sails. Rockley point ,in Poole harbour, for instance used to have a fleet of Wayfarers for teaching (don't know if they still do). Sails may be pretty tired but better than nothing till you find better.
sjgrobbins

Post by sjgrobbins »

roger wrote:I have the original trailer for Mah Jong but probably not as old as the Wayfarer one.
Not only the original trailer but the original tyres as well!! Getting a bit thin now :?
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

For those of us who have achieved an altogether higher plane of trailer appreciation the OP's trailer for the lovely W3 has one of those hitches with a side locking device. I have spent many a happy hour sourcing spare springs for such an item.

http://elizatinsley.co.uk/products/4741 ... on-springs

Being boringly practical for a moment I advise caution. Old trailers with either box of tubular sections have a habit of rusting from within...check it out carefully before risking your beautiful boat.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Thanks for your advice a.k.a. 'boring practicality' which is much appreciated - a true trailer appreciator!

I use a Sovereign (today Welsh Harp) Wayfarer combi road base with two Wayfarer launching trollies, but now have 4 different dinghies ( two on trollies, one in roof, one on old trailer) ......so you'll no doubt guess that I'm in the market for two additional used launching trollies (and maybe even another used road base at the right price) to avoid constantly swapping them.

W3 'drives' on the Sovereign base with a 'borrowed' trolly, but lives off road for now on the old trailer. Once I have found another used Wayfarer trolly in good shape it will become hers and I am hoping to have time then to bring the old trailer back into top shape, so thank you for the link. W3 and her old trailer have been together for so long it seems right to look after both, even if the old one rarely, if ever, sees the road.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

In my experience "old" metal is better than modern.....if it hasn't been dunked then an old trailer is often perfectly ok, as long as the mechanical parts are ok......perished suspension rubber (if fitted) is often the real problem.....but caution is definitely needed, as they don't all last well.
We've just purchased an elderly (70s?) GP14 on its original trailer........tows beautifully! See other thread........
Sami.