GP14 age and 3 stud trailer wheel availability?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
solentgal

Re: GP14 age and 3 stud trailer wheel availability?

Post by solentgal »

Yes Jim......sort of what I have in mind: The chocks would be pivoted from the axle and swing in a second pivot.......rather like a car on a Ferris wheel, effectively a cam.....so that they drop under the wheel when needed. They are joined across the length of the axle by a simple rod that has a central lifting point, which is operated by a line on 2 or 3 small pulleys going forward to the trolley handle......very simple, but hopefully effective :)
Sami.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Hi Sami,

there are many ways this could be done, most of which would make for a rich seam of Mike Peyton cartoon humour. Heath Robinson as we can see would be well occupied.

But I would suggest a much simpler solution.

A rope and an anchor, or gappling hook, that can be fixed at the top of the ramp. Perhaps even a plain rope if there is a ring eye, or a lamp post, or a gate post, or anything fixed at the top of the slope.

From this fixture, run the rope down to your trolley handle and run it through a ratchet block. Any old mainsheet type will do.

Now run the rope under one buttock, and back up your back and over the opposite shoulder, in the manner of a mountaineer, securing a climbing rope. Alternatively you could simply fix a Mountaineering Carribiner to your belt (Such as is used for abseiling.) and lead the rope in a Belay around that.

Now all you have to do is lean against the rope. With the position of the rope low on your belt or buttock, there is no strain on your back. The Ratchet block gives you an adequate brake, and as you walk backwards up the slip you can take in the slack rope so that you stay close enough to steer you trolley.

All the stength of your legs is directed to pulling up the slip. It is a two times purchace, so equivalent to you plus crew, which should suffice for a GP but you can if you wish with a bit more tackle you can increase the purchase if you need to. Like Archimedes said, given a place to stand you can move the world.

You can carry all the equipment you need for this in a small sail bag. stored in the boat. It is water proof, mud proof and sand proof, and wouldnt draw excessive attention to you either!
Michael Brigg
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Interesting idea Michael...... I just had a quick look at pics of the slip, but can't see any easily available attachment points :(

Statistically, there is likely to be someone there who would lend a hand on most occasions...and it has just struck me that I may be over complicating things for the odd occasion when I really am on my own. How about a 6ft lump of wood just attached to the axle for that odd occasion.....would take mere moments....dragged up an inch or so behind the wheels so that it acts as an instant chock when stopped, so that I can do the drunken weave up the slip....then just unhooked to reverse and launch. If nothing else this is worth a try initially as it is the simplest trial I suppose.

I have to say that all the basic KERS technology ideas....(wonderful idea Chris :) ) are a possible way forward.....surely with modern materials something like this is possible?....Maybe a production F1 style launch trolley!
Sami.
cweed

Post by cweed »

Solentgal..........

You're somewhere around Chich. Harbour.

Have you tried Blendworth Trailer Centre at Rowlands Castle?

I'll look at the scrap pile of trailers in the dinghy park on my next viisit as well...........
JimC

Post by JimC »

Can't help thinking that if the fundamental problem is dragging the weight of Gp and trailer up the slope than adding a 6ft log to the load is suboptimal...

I'm not entirely sure about one wheel at a time, OK you are younger and probably fitter than me, but an auto chock would be most use for me in enabling a good heave followed by 20secs rest rather than using one wheel system exclusively. One wheel at a time reserved only for last few feet when rest becoming less effective. So log, in increasing muscle required for heave, undesirable.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Hmmm point taken Jim.......and I fear I'm not that much younger....and certainly no stronger! Maybe a length of 40mm plastic pipe then?.....much lighter! It would still wedge the wheels I think...... I have a load here too, so I can experiment :)
Sami.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

solentgal wrote: I think it would be worth getting a spare wheel if possible.
- actually, if your tow car is younger than some date or other - so for practical purposes, all cars - you HAVE to have a spare wheel for the trailer... which for some of cvrda trailers is probably impossible (e.g. the old type with hubs integral to the wheel) as far as I have found out so far.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

solentgal wrote:
I have to say that all the basic KERS technology ideas....(wonderful idea Chris :) ) are a possible way forward.....surely with modern materials something like this is possible?

....Maybe a production F1 style launch trolley!
Anyone remember getting up to this kind of behaviour? :D :D :lol:
Drag racing Trailer a.jpg
BUSA Championships at Oxford. Farrmore Reservoir 1977
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

The most useful thing I found with our GP was a jockey wheel on the front of the trolly
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Yes, Roger, a jockey wheel makes a huge difference....and this trolley has an inflated one, so ideal.

Not sure F1 trolley racing on the slipway would go down very well Michael, but a lovely bit of nostalgia :)

cweed....only just seen your comment re Blendworth trailers.....thanks....worth a look next time I'm up that way...I have hired from them in the past, but not noticed any scrap stuff, but always worth asking I think.
Sami.
Dictate

Post by Dictate »

Sami, I have a similar problem at times and have found no simple solution as yet.
It has crossed my mind to try an old "Sailorman's" solution; can opener and a few tins of.......spinach!
trebor

Post by trebor »

The only safe way to tack single handedly up this slope is with each wheel having its own brake, chocks will slip, or, if one grips and you for some reason loose handle, the whole outfit will pivot round fixed chock until it ends up running handle first down slope.
Fit a "T" handle to trolley with 2 cycle type levers and a brake to each wheel, the brakes need to be the type that have to be released by the levers, so if you loose the brakes stay on, old style carriage brakes that press on outside of tyre will probably be easiest to make, similar to brakes fitted to kids pedal go-kart.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
roger

Post by roger »

How about a simple ratchet on each wheel. Off for launching and then flick it to lock (one for each wheel) and then you can do your zig sagging up the slip.
Only issue I can see is you will have to get your knees wet to flip the ratchets on.

Just a thought I am sure our technical bods can come up with a better version.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Some intriguing suggestions here guys.......its one of those nagging little problems that becomes an alternative to counting sheep on a sleepless night :) As for the spinach idea..... I already eat huge amounts of it....with pepper and nutmeg......really yummy, genuinely one of my favourite foods!
Sami.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Well, maybe this will do for pensioned old sailors...the version for beaches is equipped with tank tracks but a tarlmac wheeled version also exists...

http://www.nenuphar.com/fr/chariots-de- ... rique.html

Nevertheless many clubs and sailing schools in Brittany Normandy and pas de Calais go for pensioned small farm tractors (farmers nowdays go for humongous machines and sell pony tractors dirt cheap) , these can handle ten or more sailing school catamarans at a time , train style, either with classical wleel trolleys or cheaper skid equipped sleds.

The quad bike is also an option, but did you try hoisting the spinnaker when the wind is directly on shore....it is quite helpful