Tony Smith Contender

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Pat

Re: Tony Smith Contender

Post by Pat »

Rather than actually changing the design date, I would prefer that, as with the Lowrider Moths, specific groups of boats are invited to join in outside the main prize structure but with their own prizes (if enough attend).
Provided we could specify what a "classic" Contender is (cut-off date or design type or manufacturer) in a similar way that we can define "Lowrider" Moth or "Fairey" Albacore or "Mark 1" Firefly, then we could welcome some of the modern classics to the larger venues where there is room for all.
Since "Old" and "Lost Class" boats are now over 30 years old there is a need for a place for some of the well outdated designs and lost classes from the last fifteen years of the last century, so I don't believe inviting along a "Modern" fleet limited to specific classes & designs would be out of place.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

As this subject has been discussed over previous years this is just to clarify things as they are embodied in the CVRDA constitution. ( which is available for all to read from the home page). Quoting:
(c) Old Racing Dinghies

We define these boats as being from any dinghy class established before 1965 and built before 1985. This includes any of the development classes established before 1965 as long as the boat was built before 1985.

Lost Classes . Certain interesting examples of dinghies from classes designed between 1965 and 1985 and where that class is no longer in production and its association has ceased to exist, may be permitted to join the Old Racing Dinghies Wing after application to the committee if it is felt that the dinghy embodies the spirit of the CVRDA. See 3 (2) above. No post 1985 built dinghy will be considered.

The pertinent points are :
CLASS ESTABLISHED before 1965. I remember this was to clarify the tricky ones such as the lark. So if we say designed before 1965 we are actually misquoting our rules as laid down.

The lost class category was carefully considered and worded to enable the committee to welcome certain boats we felt worthy without opening the flood gates.

I personally see no need yet to alter our constitution as we deliberately included some elbow room in it; though I'm sure that sometime in the future we may well need to reconsider dates etc.

So, if anyone wishes to formally ask the committee whether a particular boat is OK to join in events please do. (pm me and I'll get it discussed).
Also if there is a widespread feeling that we need to look again at things in the constitution you can also mention that. All I ask is that people read carefully the constitution first to save any misunderstanding or misquoting of the CVRDA rules.

Chris Barlow
CVRDA commodore
roger

Post by roger »

Thanks Chris, remember we have been through this many times before. If you want to change things put it to the AGM.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353