Corsa 16?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Lands End

Corsa 16?

Post by Lands End »

Hi all,
I'm new to your forum, and as of yet not had a proper look around.
I joined in hope that someone can help to identify a dinghy that I recently acquired, and tell me more about it.
I hope to put some pictures on to help, but briefly, I believe it to be a 'Corsa 16'.
It is GRP, foam backed?,16ft long, with side decks for presumably 2 people. it has a large hole as an open cockpit through the transom, a centre mainsheet track, mounted on a fully molded bridge between the two side decks, the centre board and rudder are made of 19mm plywood. The inside side walls of the cockpit contain round hatches secured in place by bungees inside the hollow decks with buoyancy provided by polystyrene blocks and airbags. the aluminium mast is quite tall, but without spreaders fitted. The boom is rectangular aluminium box section. It has hiking straps fitted to very sturdy brackets on the cockpit sole.
Unfortunately, it has been left outside for 7 years, and the grp has possibly come away from the foam inside, (depending on it's construction).
On the sail bag it says, 'Corsa 18' but after getting in touch with Chichester Conservancy and asking to identify a season sticker on the hull, they said it was registered as a 'Corsa Dinghy'.
Can anyone shed any light, have one, or what have you?
Cheers,
Lands End
phil58490

Re: Corsa 16?

Post by phil58490 »

Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Or look up Korsar?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Is there an insignia on the sail?
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Rupert
The Korsar is a mean lean racing machine. think of a shorter FD with a bit of 505 chucked in. I sailed one for a time when I lived in Germany own by at that time my girlfriend. I owned a Reg White Tornado Cat at this time. The sail emblem for a Korsar is scimitar. No way that this boat could be a Kosar.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Al, the Korsar is about 16 feet long, so has that in common. I must admit that I can't picture the boat from the words given, and was simply wondering about a misheard name. A picture is needed!
Rupert
Lands End

Post by Lands End »

Thanks for your responses, I will have to take some new pictures but I have been busy, sorry!
I did already check the Corsair dinghy, but it's not that. The closest I could find was a Typhoon dinghy, Proctor design i think, but not as angular looking.
There is no insignia on the sails, and they look almost new. Looked at the Korsar, but it's not it either.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

another wild guess:

Caneton Strale

which, depending which books you read, is either one boat or two different boats, the Caneton and the Strale.............so that is three guesses for the price of one.

or with a stretchy tape measure ... Challenge

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Accurate LOA and beam measurements also welcome :)
ent228

Post by ent228 »

There is a Strale in Coronation park in Dartmouth, cross between an FD and a 505 shallower than both and fully double bottomed, it has a maker's plate on the front bulkhead port side rivetted on, wooden bar that goes across the transom to support the top of the rudder stock is gently curved., nice boat, gently decaying.....

However I don't think it is a Strale as the OP says it has holes in the side tanks with hatches and these would be really difficult to achieve on a Strale as it is really curvy.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Must be a Caneton then :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Don't know why I did not think of it before

Simoun 485

If it looks like a big 420, this is a good bet.

Nigel
Lands End

Post by Lands End »

Hi all, I hope this link works and takes you to my flickr thing.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/nickdowningpz/5YT2gY

It is not the simoun 485, or the Caneton Strale.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Nice looking boat, that.
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Agree - very nice lines

that deck level thwart is quite distinctive - think I would have remembered seeing that.

Looks to have no spreaders. Does it have trapeze wires?

Exact measurements may help but it is a mystery currently
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Are there any maker's names on the cleats? This may help to decide on its nationality.