Corsa 16?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Lands End

Re: Corsa 16?

Post by Lands End »

Nothing has any marks or names on, no makers plates, nothing. There are no spreaders or trapeze wires.
To put her in the water she will need at least a centreboard and maybe rudder. The kicker is also missing. The decks are soft, but it will stand me hiking out from the straps on the trailer!
I sail a laser regularly, so am quite willing to try her out. The sails are almost new.
I am away for a few days, so I won't be responding.
Lands End

Post by Lands End »

I have tested the hiking straps which, although moving the cockpit sole, they seem secure, so I have removed the centreboard to use as a pattern for a new one. Have checked for manufacturers names, nothing written on it or any parts anywhere.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Caneton strale is a strange story...

Once the caneton class endorsed the 505 ,it quickly became a separate class and the Caneton guys asked for a tame , hard chine classic on design caneton (the caneton 56 by Eugène Cornu, the uncle of André Cornu of 470 fame)...it was too heavy and not exactly at the vanguard of dinghy sailing, was not a big success , so at some point in the late 60's the Caneton class tried a last ditch mutation by endorsing the Strale (a racy and rakish italian design by Santarelli)..

Trouble was the santarelli strales were racing machines builtlike FD's (deliciously crafted expensive toys) but the french Caneton strales were made by La Prairie, a boatyard famous for the Zef , The Surf and the apache ...good for the price budget dinghies made out of projected matt...not exactly the kind of building technique to withstand heavy forestay loads...

furtermore la prairie went bust after both industrial action (strikes) and legal action by Gouget (the aluminium moth callled squale which name gouget pretended could be confused with strale, italian word for "arrow").

The fact that the 470 was selected as an olympic dinghy against both the strale and the Fireball didn't helpeither...

Here the Corsa 16 is not exactly a strale but borrows some features...and the hatch of the forward tank looks very much like the one on italian ALPA Flying Juniors ...might be a clue...
Lands End

Post by Lands End »

Thanks for your replies, only just checked back.
The ALPA flying junior is the closest boat you have suggested. The construction features are very similar to mine. The centreboard fits into the deck level, not in a traditional box. The mast is mounted on the sole. There is the little v gutter on the foredeck. Is ALPA the manufacturer of the flying junior?
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Alpa was a "mass manufacturer" in 70's italy , like Lanaverre in France...The Flying Junior was intended a 14ft version of the olympic FD (by the same designer , Gus Van Essens), like Maury's 420 was an attempt to make a 14 Ft 505 .

In Italy there were refined racing FJ's by small artisanal boatyards like Bianchi e Cecchi of FD fame but Alpa cranked lots of "safety orange" double bottommed Flying Juniors for recreational and sailing school use..they also manufactured a good copy of the Sunfish / Beachcomber recreational boat and then turned to cabin boats before getting bankrupt.

The amusing thing is that performance sailcraft USA still manufacture Italian designed FJ and French designed 420 (in unrefined sailing school trim)to this day, for high school and univrsity intercollegiate team racing.
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

still the FJ is only 14 Ft long ....there are two feet missing somewhere
JimC

Post by JimC »

It does look European to me though, but am not a quite sure why.

Funny range of features, the gear in general looks 80s 90s, rudder planform is very 70s. Ply foils and no spreaders say very budget conscious, but the rest of the layout less so, those alloy toe strap supports look very expensive.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Those toe strap supports look home made to me so may be a bit of customisation by the owner (each one looks to be slightly different) - can't see any manufacturer doing anything other than shock cord to keep the toe straps up.

Possibly the oddest fittings are the traveller cleats. Not seen anything like them on a racing dinghy set up.