Typhoon.

an area to discuss dinghy developments
ent228

Typhoon.

Post by ent228 »

There is a yellow and white Typhoon near me. Looks ok.

Is it worth getting and restoring or is it a real dog and to be avoided? Sailing skills are adequate.

All comments welcome.
Rupert

Re: Typhoon.

Post by Rupert »

My understanding was that they were a sweet boat, but unfairly compared speed wise with bigger ones. David H will know more.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ent 228,

Thanks Rupert, yes, I've a wealth of info on the Typhoon - maybe because I have Ian Proctor's own boat in the workshop.

They are a lovely boat, but one that had a number of hurdles to overcome to get the success it deserved - and if the truth be told, it wasn't given much in the way of help.

The idea was simple: a strict one design hull, then almost total freedom to do what you like in terms of rig, foils and fittings. The design, from Ian Proctor, owed a great deal to his Merlin Rocket IXb design (which was the dominant MR design for a good many years) but Ian understood that a trapeze boat was easier to sail if the crew felt that they were on a stable platform. The hull shape was tweaked, a nice flattish run aft BUT - if the truth be told, the boat fell into that 'pocket rocket' genre along with the LazyE and Mirror 14. It is interesting that the modern day equivalent - the RS500, is struggling for traction here in the UK. About the only boats that meet that definition to succeed are the dedicated youth boats....420/29er.

But back to the Typhoon. There was a great deal of hype surrounding the launch of the boat and as a result, the RYA gave the boat an initial PY that would see the performance as significantly faster than the main second division performance boats of the day, the Hornet, Fireball and 470. This is a shame, for the boat went well enough and certainly was quick, but just not quick enough. This resulted in the Typhoon being mocked by the more vocal supporters of some of the other classes - the Hornets in particular big mouthed and bad mouthed about it. It also didn't help that the boats were being turned out in 'positano yellow' - a mustardy yellow colour, better known as 'baby poo yellow'!!

Then, far from being the boat that would 'save' boatbuilders Chippendale, it turned out to be the final nail in the coffin and with the end of Jack's business, the end was in sight for the Typhoon.

Yet, taking all the above into account, the Typhoon is still a crackerjack of a boat and exactly where the CVRDA should be; a lost class, an innovative boat (with the strict OD hull) and a boat that will turn heads. Well made by Chippendales, you've the all GRP hull and freedom to use pretty much whatever you like for a rigs and bits - you could easily use 2nd hand hornet, FB or 470 bits.

With the news that we've an active LazyE, we know of a Jacksnipe, now the Typhoon, add in a Mirror 14, I'd love to do a 'pocket rockets revisited' article - I think the magazines would take that!

Keep in touch if you want more details,

Dougal
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It would be lovely to see them all on the water. Add in Pegasus, please!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

How did I miss that - I thought that I had as in many ways the Peggie was the boat that begat the genre.

It is really interesting to see how the various designers approached the issue of performance pocket rockets. I was about to say that the Milne m14 was head and shoulders better by design...but thinking again, the Jacksnipe could well be staking a claim there BUT was let down, firstly by quality issues, then by the political quagmire that it sailed in to.

Where the Typhoon scores is that it is a pretty boat - nicely proportioned, 'easy on the eyes'.

You can try it for yourself!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Would love to.

There is another modern boat that fits the description, though I admit I dislike it more than almost any boat I've ever sailed - the Laser Vago.
Rupert
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I remember drooling over the Typhoon when I was young, fit and agile.
Best wishes

SB
ent228

Post by ent228 »

I've been in contact with the owner. He wants real money. As a bottom feeder in the dinghy market I can't oblige.

Anyone else want it? It's in Totnes. It's got a trailer. Only seen the hull, CB, boom. Someone has screwed rubber door stops to the gunwales for the trapeze crew.

Bright yellow deck and white hull.