Merlin Rocket 1028

an area to discuss dinghy developments
sam mason

Merlin Rocket 1028

Post by sam mason »

Start worrying people I have been given the vast majority of Merlin Rocket 1028
.Now its not often I admit to not knowing stuff but I have no idea about Merlins. Apart from the RYA is there a source where I could find out who built it and confirm my assumption that it is a Proctor 1X ? In the past the RYA have been useless in tracking down old boats with the standard "We have no record" being the usual response so it would be nice to make contact with someone who is actually interested.
Do we know if there are any rig plans or measurements relating to this design?
I have tried the MROA web site but to no avail meaning I cant find what I want although it may be there somewhere
Any help welcomed before I start spending!
Sam
Spiderman

Re: Merlin Rocket 1028

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Sam,
According to the Merlin Rocket Yearbook 1028 is Proctor mk 12 called "Arthur" which was built by Wyche and Coppock in 1960. Another example is 2040 which has been beautifully restored by Laurie Smart and appears regularly on the Thames circuit gaining good results, but it has been "carbonised" with a modern rig and sails.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Ian
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Thanks for that Ian. It is in remarkable condition all things considered and has been in dry storage for about 10 years. I hope to have it done for next year when ,with any luck, I should be out and about again
Sam
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The original name was Crossbow and she was based at Banbury SC. The 12 was a very popular design in the 60's and designed by Ian Procter specifically for inland waters with a low wetted area and quick tacking. Design won the Silver Tiller a number of times.

Mike Liggett.
chris

Post by chris »

1066 often sails at vintage events and is in completely original condition still - fittings, rig , sails etc. And that includes flying the spinny inside the forestay which was the rule then. It is a MK 12 too and does very well. In fact it would have known 1028 well as it is also a Banbury boat. I'm sure Tim B could help with any info on boat details.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Cor,
This certainly knocks "We have no record" (RYA) into a cocked hat. I have sailed against 1066 a couple of times and will be quite pleased if I can get "Arthur/Crossbow" out in as nice condition
I picked the boat up from Banbury last Sunday but I am led to believe it had been sailed on the Thames and put into storage in Banbury about 10 years ago Most of the original fittings are in a box and most of the varnish was on the shed floor! It even has the original Avon type brass self bailers which don't seem to have been used and wont be so if anyone wants a pair... I foresee a bad back from varnish scraping and a redeck hopefully we SHOULD be on the water next season but the Albacore stays as well
Sam
chris

Post by chris »

c.1994 it Belonged to someone in Oxford and sailed at Medley SC. I can't find my 1975 yearbook which would tell who had it earlier.