Not a classic - but she is wooden

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Rich

Post by Rich »

Further to my recent posts with regard to paint polishing & centreboard problems on Phantom 917, I would like to thank all here for the help & advice I received. The refurbishment's about finished with the exception of mast lowers which still need adding. In the end I decided not to polish my poor paint job, as a relatively inexperienced sailor I decided the time was probably better spent in trying to improve my sailing technique rather than spending hours with wet & dry & rubbing compound. I followed the advice given and used Tufnol to pack the centreboard and this seems to have worked a treat.Some pics of the finished job

Mod's, Not sure if posting pictures is allowed so please delete this post if it's a problem

One again thanks to all for the help

Rich
Rich
keithr

Post by keithr »

She looks a beaut, what is the sail insignia as I think we have one at Clywedog.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Rich

Post by Rich »

Keith, its a Spook\Ghost\Phantom, can be seen on class website

http://www.phantomclass.org.uk/mainsite/index.php

Alas most of the new ones are plastic these days
Rich
Rich
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

She looks great. Pity I'm about 5 stone too light to really get a Phantom going...Mind, the amout of cider I'm drinking at the moment, I'll be there soon!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Luvely....

how do you find sailing the phantom with the double bottom?

I have only sailed a normal one and found it quite low on room and always thought that putting in a double bottom a great idea....but how easy is it to get under the boom?

but very nice indeed

well done!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ed, took 917 for it's first spin yesterday and can confirm that there isn't much room under the boom. It is slightly better than my previous OK and the open cockpit does give you plenty of room in which to perform the gymnastics. I also found the curvature of the false floor difficult to cope with not being the most agile of people and I will need to perfect the technique for getting my backside onto the side decks when going upwind. I think the installation of some kicking strips to the false floor may help matters as there is no centreboard case or anything else to push against, hopefully with more practice I should also get better at balancing the power in the sail against my body weight. Some knee pads will also be a must as I am now sporting a matching pair of grazed knees.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Rich
Rich
Jools

Post by Jools »

Rich I had a self draining Ledger a few years back, the kicking strips were murder in light airs, when removed it was much more comfortable. If you can manage without, your knees will thank you for it, or make them limited in size so they are not where you might kneel.