Montague Sharpie

an area to discuss dinghy developments
timc

Montague Sharpie

Post by timc »

Hi all,
I own a Montague Sharpie. They were originally built by Elkins of Christchurch in the 1930's , having been commissioned by Lady Montague as the club boat for the Beaulieu River Sailing Club (BRSC). She had apparently sailed a Sharpie whilst visiting the governor of Gibralter and liked them!
They were originally carvel built, with a hard chine. 16ft (O.A.) 15'5" (W.L.) Sail area of 110. Centre Board, Bermudan sloop.
My Uncle who was the Chief engineer on the Tall Ship Winston Churchill, acquired her as a wreck in the early 60's and set about rebuilding her. She became ply hulled and had two bulkheads, for and aft built in. This was the first dinghy I sailed in under his instruction in the early 60's in the Solent, out of Ashlett Creek and we had many adventures including being rescued by helicopter in 1972. And subsequently recovering her.
He has now handed her over to me and although I have done a lot of work on her, I still have a pesky trickle of water from somewhere around the centre board casing. I have endeavoured to locate original plans for these sharpies but Elkins no longer have them. The Royal Lymington Yacht Club subsequently purchased a lot of the Montague Sharpies from BRSC apparently but much paperwork was lost in a flood many years ago.
I would be very keen to hear from anyone that knows more about these dinghies, has sailed them etc. Or indeed if anyone else has one!!
With regard to my centreboard problem it seems I may have to remove the heavy metal centre board plate and possibly the box to investigate and re seat …… neither task I relish since she is a heavy craft.
Anyway, this is my first post so I hope maybe this has been informative and I welcome any response or advice.
PeterV

Re: Montague Sharpie

Post by PeterV »

Welcome Tim. My advice would be to remove the case and reveal it. If you try and fix the leak from the inside you still have the possibility of water leaking between the hog and the case and lying in a gap and rotting the hog.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
timc

Post by timc »

Thanks for your reply. I suspected that I would have to take the whole thing out. No mean feat but ill have to bite the bullet and go for it.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Tim,

I've more than a passing interest in the Sharpies - as they were the performance boats that were very much in evidence in the early 1950s...… an era that is fast becoming a topic of mine as I dig deeper into the research for the 505 book.

I'm only just up the road, could I come and see your boat sometime and take some pictures please?

Dougal
David H
timc

Post by timc »

Hi davidh,
You would be more than welcome, but I omitted to say that I now live in Kent, as does the boat. If I ever get her sound, it is my intention to sail her on the Beaulieu River. I would of course be happy to send you some photographs of how she looks at present. Are you aware of any other Montague Sharpies surviving? apparently they were originally given a name beginning with the letter 'M'. I'm not sure how many were originally built for the BRSC but I have seen a photograph of one with the number 14 on the mainsail.
chris

Post by chris »

Have you tried contacting the BRSC? There is a telephone number on their website but I can’t see an email.
timc

Post by timc »

Hi,
Yes I have been in touch with them and they kindly sold me a book on the history of the club. I also had a letter published in the Southern Evening Echo which produced a response . Some old members/owners even had some photos of old sharpies in action but no other paperwork seems to have survived. Elkins no longer build and are now brokerage and moorings. I did speak to them and although very obliging, were not aware of any drawings etc surviving.