11+ on Ebay

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael4

11+ on Ebay

Post by Michael4 »

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wooden-saili ... 1438.l2649

No connection or anything and doubt that the vendor knows what it is.

Late summer seems to bring things out of people's garages, it seems to be the season for finding projects!
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
JimC

Re: 11+ on Ebay

Post by JimC »

That must be a very early one with the drop in centreboard...
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Yes, I saw that, matches the drawings you gave me. Decks don't look too bad but I think I'd paint the hull.

I also noticed neat fittings for rowlocks and the hole in the coaming plus cleat for the forestay to be brought back to within arm's reach.

No sails apparently, however hope someone picks it up and then we can have an 11+ challenge.
Tideway 206
11+
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

She’s mine and she’s great!
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Congratulations, where are you?
Tideway 206
11+
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

I’m in Bedford. I’ve put a wanted ad, with lots of photos of her, on eBay.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4015229022
Heron sails are the same square footage, but are too wide on the foot, and not tall enough. I’ve enquired re. new sails from Jeckells and Banks, but they only want to make them in modern plasticky, too noisy, Dacron.
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

She’s incredibly original, so as she’s never been painted in her 60 years, im keeping her in all varnish, and I think it suits her. I wasn’t planning on trying to buy another 11+, but when I saw the ebay ad, well I had to have her. Apparently she was going to be out in an ornamental pond! Would have been a tragedy.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Ask Dick Batt at Batt Sails, just round the corner from me. However the won't come cheap.

For what it worth the luff on my original sails leaves mast to spare.
Tideway 206
11+
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

Thanks. Yes it’s a bit hard in one sense to spend any money on her as she only came for £50 and a bit of Owatrol D1 satin varnish! On the other hand she’s gorgeous and I’d like to her right regardless of cost!
The cotton Heron sails I have look great on the 11+, and have no insignia or numbers on.
I’d like new sails to be more terylene like than modern Dacron.
I did own 11+ no. 429 until last year but stupidly sold her. She was also in remarkable condition.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

I've been given the plans and sail dimensions if needed in the future.

Have you seen this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6957
Tideway 206
11+
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

Batts came back to me very quickly- they loved the boat by way of the photo I sent them. Thanks for the suggestion- he’thinks he has plans! Will come back to me with price.
I enjoyed reading the link you sent. Yours looks great. I wonder how many now exist!
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

cocoandfly wrote:I’d like new sails to be more terylene like than modern Dacron.
You'll struggle to find anything that bad these days. On my Heron I use a 3.9oz cloth by Bainbridge. It's a lot easier handling than the super-stiff cloths by Contender or Dimension Polyant which dominate woven racing dinghy cloths. Challange do a similar cloth which is available in a wide range of colours including Egyptian Cotton colour. I've always thought that would look good on vintage dinghy.
Best wishes

SB
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

Yes I have a couple of Herons, one wood, one grp, and love them both, but the 11+ is the one I’d keep if push came to shove!
I have an original wonderful set of cotton sails which look so good, sail so silently, and even smell so nice, on either wooden boats.
Although I do enter Heron Association races, my heart has never really been into racing. Prefer ‘cruising’ and pottering!
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

cocoandfly wrote:Batts came back to me very quickly- they loved the boat by way of the photo I sent them. Thanks for the suggestion- he’thinks he has plans!
If you get a quote could you pm me? If I am feeling affluent (admittedly unlikely) I could go round there and see if he'll come up with a figure for making two sets at the same time...
Tideway 206
11+
cocoandfly

Post by cocoandfly »

Will do.
In Heron circles, it was the Association I believe who allocated sail/hull numbers. I presume the 11+ sold in too few a numbers to warrant an Association, so perhaps numbers were allocated by the Harlow factory?
Anyhow, with no sails, and with no hull number I can find on her, I’m not quite sure whether I would just have the 11+ insignia.