Pearson Finn IR10

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Donie75

Pearson Finn IR10

Post by Donie75 »

Hi folks,
I have recently rescued a late 60’s Pearson Finn from being cut up and dumped here in Ireland. Some of you may have seen the advert on CVRDA. I have brought the boat back to my club and have it stored indoors. It has a dark green grp hull and grey decks with a wooden thwart and rubbing strake and a wooden spray deflector/trim piece on the foredeck. I plan to replace the wooden rubbing strake/gunwhale and the thwart and some other wood in the cockpit. I also plan to sand the hull and carry out any gelcoat repairs and paint the hull and deck.
I believe Pearsons has a plate on the aft of the cockpit but mine appears to have been removed and an inspection hatch is in its place. Is there anywhere else I might be able tro find the build number?
Also, does anyone know the history of IR10?
The boat came with an old wooden mast and the original Elvstrom sail stamped 1968. The wooden mast seems to have a halyard lock arrangement. Are there any old rigging documents/guides showing how to rig the old wooden masts?
I think I may have sourced a Needlespar Aluminium rig but I need to organise shipping from the UK. Will this fit dmy boat okay or will the mast hole need modification.
My email address is dherraghty at gmail.com if anyone wants to discuss directly as I see that there is very little traffic on this page.
Apologies for all the questions.
Thanks
Donie
IMG_0543b.jpg
(26.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0545a.jpg
(25.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0544a.jpg
(17.59 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Donie75

Re: Pearson Finn IR10

Post by Donie75 »

IMG_0546a.jpg
(25.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PeterV

Re: Pearson Finn IR10

Post by PeterV »

The first Pearson Finn was registered in the UK in 1961 and the last in 1973. Alloy masts were only introduced in 1972 so they didn't become common in most club fleets until the late 70s. I broke my last wooden mast at Weymouth Olympic week in 1976 and they were still common then.
I have a Bruder wooden mast for my Fairey Finn I have now. I've found a later Dacron sail designed for a late 90s Carbon mast fits it well as the luff curve is very even, similar to a modern carbon mast and unlike a Needlespar where most of the bend is in the top mast. Although I am more confident in stronger winds with the Needlespar it's much more difficult to get a sail to fit, you really need a Dacron sail cut for the mast which means before about 1994.

Best of luck with your restoration, you'll have a great boat at the end of it!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash