International Canoe K102 "Torment"

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

Re: International Canoe K102 "Torment"

Post by Michael Brigg »

The foot well liner then has had to come out.

...but what to do now with old of the mildewed old evostick.
WP_20141101_006b.jpg
(79.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Ordinary white spirit is not having much effect, and acetone is just about enough to soften the worst of the residue.

I think I shall have to scrub this with wire brush and Acetone after attacking it with some bleach.

The bleach will take out the mildew, and the acetone will soften the compound enough to flatten and prepare it for a new coating of Laminate floor glue. I will coat the whole surface to get a good waterproof seal.

The blue Grip textured material is going to need flattening. Unless I can find a suitable replacement. Any ideas if I can get this anywhere anyone??
Image0152a.jpg
For this I think a careful bit of experimentation with a wallpaper steamer should do the job. Actually it might also help lift the old glue...watch this space.
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

If you can get the blue stuff out I'd leave it out. I don't recall having seen anything like that on a modern boat, and can't imagine it doing anything useful - I don't think my feet have ever touched the floor in there. If you want to preserve the look why not just paint the footwells?

Athough the preferred option in recent years seems to be tufnol rubbing strip, varnish on varnish seems common enough in the earlier days, and I've just been putting a new coat of paint on my spare plank where its rubbed off, and that one has always just been wood contact surfaces.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

There is enough of this grip surface stuck down to the dancefloor and elsewhere in the hull to build a new boat around it and call it Grandpa's Axe.
Image0144a.jpg
(44.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
...so If I possibly can I would rather preserve it for posterity and the Retro look.

And yes , against more than one set of better judgement, that includes the Bacon slicer...though I might experiment there with wrapping it perhaps with cycle handlebar grip, at least until I can sail the thing without falling of the seat!

I do have another sliding seat, painted all in black. This used to be part of K111. It is tempting to see if another Grandpa's axe can be built around that too, if only to keep the number. I also have K111's Mast, rudder, foil, boom, tiller and Sails. Everything except the hull in fact, which would have to reanimate itself along the lines of Dumbledore's bird...which is perhaps a clue on it's previous incarnation.

K111 used to belong to the son of Torment's owner and I think when he decided to hang up his buoyancy aid, in the spirit of the time, he took a leaf out of Tim Jeffrey and David Hunt's book, (I love this story!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... blaze.html
Michael Brigg
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

It was actually Alan Warren (Undertaker to the South coast.) and David Hunt.
Who set fire to Gift Horse.
Given the occasion I liked Jack Knights comment at the time.
"In a way that neither would ever understand, they simply let the side down".
JimC

Post by JimC »

Michael Brigg wrote:...so If I possibly can I would rather preserve it for posterity and the Retro look.
Of course there is always the risk that one is preserving not the original concept, but a dubious modification by an intermediate owner somewhere down the line.

I think that's probably Dunlop Trakmark, which is I believe long out of production. The main alternative, Walker's Treadmaster is still available, but the diamond pattern is different - longer diamonds and wider spaced. Also very expensive.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

First coat of varnish on the bottom.

Image Image

A good start to the year. :) :) :)
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Michael Brigg
chris

Post by chris »

Always a satisfying feeling when the first coats brings the timber back to life!
Look forward to the seeing the end result on the water!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

chris wrote:Always a satisfying feeling when the first coats brings the timber back to life!
Look forward to the seeing the end result on the water!
Not quite on the water yet, and the devil remains in the detail. (Battens to re-varnish, foils to prepare and repair, Sails in serious need of attention and a final coat probably @ April time, but Torment is looking very handsome on the bottom. :D :lol:

Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just stunning.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Yes, absolutely.

Oh, you are so going to enjoy sailing her!

Just wish I had got Dicey K101 when I had the chance.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Just beautiful!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Now I am beginning the difficult bit of sorting out all the small jobs.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... khkwfq.jpg

These plate cheeks have separated from the centreplate. They clearly have an important role as can be seen from the deeply scored markings.

They are made from marine ply, @ 4mm (perhaps originally 1/8th inch thickness. I have had a chat with Ed about them and he thinks a single thickness of Kayha veneer would be best both for the wear and tear and ease of working. I am inclined to agree.

Robbins I think may be the only supplier, and their delivery is sooo expensive! I have a set of Double scull riggers to collect from down the road from Bristol, just the other side of the Severn bridge so I can feel a small expedition coming on. I will post If I am dropping into Robbins if anyone wants a CVRDA style delivery!
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Veneer sounds like a good plan. Nothing for sale on eBay?
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Rupert wrote:Veneer sounds like a good plan. Nothing for sale on eBay?
Only the "Iron on" stuff, about 1mm thickness.

I suppose I cold always nick one of these from the school dining room :shock:

Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

Tufnol sheet would be a very contemporary hard wearing solution and probably a damn sight easier to post than veneer. Might be worth considering.