New JollyBoat

share hints, tips and experiences
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Lots more photos added!

Turns out Steve Moore who is doing the building is not too far from me - so I hope to pop down before too long and have a look at progress.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Steve M

New member new Jollyboat builder.

Post by Steve M »

Hello everyone

my name's Steve Moore and I'm building a new Jollyboat. I've
wanted to build a boat for a while read about the jollyboat and found that they are getting rare. So I thought it would be a worthwhile project so it
should be fun sailing it when I learn how.

Well maybe I should have done this the other way round but I've started now so no going back.

Any way about the boat I have almost finished laminating the second layer
I have cut and fitted the veneers arround the transom. I have cut a rebate around the transom and left it oversize to cover the end grain of the veneers. This makes fitting the veneers at this end difficult because you have to get the fit against the previous veneer right and the fit to the transom right because of the rebate.

I did this the hard way first spiling the veneer edge first and then getting the transom edge to fit. On the next three I sat down and had a bit of a think and thought I would do it back to front. So I planed the transom edge to fit, rubbed pencil lead along the edge of the previous veneer set and stapled the new veneer in with an overlap of the old veneer and tapped along the edge with a block of wood and a malet. the pencil line transfered it'self the the new veneer I planed it to size prefect fit job done.

I have read a couple of books on how to do this but in the end I'm learning more by just getting in there and doing it.

Anyway I have a couple of photo's of this but I don't know how to attach them so I'll send them in.

Steve M.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hi Steve
How is the new Jollyboat progressing ?
I am trying to update the Jollyboat owners list.
The list and the owners association paperwork came with my boat J26.
It would be great to have your contact details.
I have sent my email as a private message.
Andrew
Steve M

New Jollyboat.

Post by Steve M »

Hello Neil

how's it going well the endless process of spiling and stapling veneers goes on. I'm on the third and last layer and have ten veneers on so far.

I'm working back the other way now so they will follow the line of the stem but it means working cack handed and a couple have got away from me. This despite checking, checking and checking again including dry stapling the veneer inplace. Soon as you add epoxy and staples every 2" the veneer creeps out a 1/16" at the bottom. Think I've sussed it so we'll see with the next one.

I'll send some photo's can you put them on the site I don't think Uffa Fox want any more just yet.

Steve M.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Steve has sent me pics. As I'm in Singapore this week (it's such a hard life......) I won't get them up until next week
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Steve M

Jollyboat blog.

Post by Steve M »

Hi folks,

I have started a blog so I can waffle on about how I'm getting on with the boat and so I can put photo's on to show how I got on and help anybody else who is thinking about having a go.

I have have shed loads of pictures of most stages of the build so far but I am going put the one's I sent to the Uffa fox site on first with a bit of info on what I was upto.

The link is http://www.steveboat.blogspot.com

See what you think

Oh sorry for the spelling

Steve.