Vivette Firefly repairs

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael Brigg

Re: Vivette Firefly repairs

Post by Michael Brigg »

Sorry about the delay there. Last time i tried to put the link in it blanked out the whole of my posting.. :twisted: :evil: :oops: :( .

So this time I put the post up first then added on the link. Thank god it worked or I'd be in danger of getting RSI.
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Progress with Vivette re-decked. She is now turned over and having her keel fitted but if I don't get a mast then looks like a vintage seagull engine will be fitted!!!
Attachments
IMG_0137small.jpg
(111.75 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
IMG_0136small.jpg
(99.27 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
IMG_0135small.jpg
(119.06 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looking very pretty. It is difficult to tell from the photos, but if you haven't already, round off the inner and outer deck edges as much as you can, as they tend to cut into your legs otherwise...
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

6 hours of sanding and fairing and three coats of G4 later Vivette looks like this. Beginning to think it is all worthwhile. (But I'm knackered now but the boat looks fine). Now a few days to allow the G4 to cure and out with the wet and dry before the Blakes Dura gloss.
Attachments
g4small2.jpg
(97.65 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
G4 small.jpg
(117.24 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Good to see that you use the same proprietary boat support system as do I.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

But do you have the same Vacuum cleaner?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Used to....then invested in a proper workshop one (cheap worshop one). Much better and worth the money.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

A "classic" hoover perchance? (Mine was a cheapo which I got at a car boot sale. I have an indoors hoover too which as a single man seems a great extravagance (although on occasions for a really good final clean up has found itself deployed in boatbuilding duties). A picture of Vivette's hull before I ruined my hands/back/lungs etc is appended.
Attachments
blue.jpg
(88.8 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

No sympathy.

I am about to go through the same with my Jollyboat.....which as we know is simply no more than one and a half Fireflies.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

But from what you've told us Ed you're about one and a half men anyway aren't you. (Which is about right for a firefly crew weight as well!)

PS. I've been to Hillhead Marine and will answer your enquiries on Gozzy's thread on centreboard repair etc etc, as that's where the query comes from. Incidentally the answer is yes.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

In terms of weight that is certainly correct!

I reckon I am closer to the weight of a complete Firefly crew - helm & crew together. Hence my liking for sailing an aft-sheeted Mk1 Firefly by myself.

In terms of skill.....I am afraid I hardly count for one.

But anyway.....there ain't nothing that makes stripping an 18ft epoxy coated dinghy easy....

you just have to get stuck in and thank god it ain't clinker!

Talking of which....everything being equal....I have found a nice old sculling boat. And although I know I have sworn 'never again'....it is clinker, but glued clinker so not damn rivets.

Most of the clinker sculling boats I have ever seen have been rather heavy training boats, but his is really quite fine and pretty normal dimensions 24ft by 18in at the sax-boards.

I will most probably post an image when I get it. It won't be in the yard (won't fit in the workshop) for this summer as I have got to do the Jollyboat and finally finish the Looe Launch.

Look forwards to hearing about the Firefly bits

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Well these are racing dinghies of a sort aren't they?

I started sculling in a fixed seat clinker open (un canvassed) scull at Radley. These were known as "Fenny sculls" perhaps after some previous benefactor and were about 12 feet long. I loved these boats, some of which could sink before you got them to a beaching point on the river. Winning races could be a lottery of wether you had a dry boat or not, (a bit like team-racing in the other club's equipment especially if they sailed in Larks.) About 20years ago these became "uneconomical" and were sold off. Sadly I only heard about it too late. They are a rare beast, with only 40, (5 for each house) in the school boathouse.

From these you could progress in your 4th term to a clinker canvased scull with a slide, known as a "Whiff" (Perhaps a name derived from Skiff.) I was fortunate enough to bypass thes by winning my agegroup in the Fenny to gain direct access to the best boat division. They were unatractive blue moulded fibreglass imitation clinker. About 15 feet. Heavy plastic short waterline and a short single action slide. All the disadvantages. A good incentive to race well enough to win promotion into "Best boats," (which were conventional river sculls albeit in dirty white Fibreglass) termed E or F boats and again hacked to bits by generalised unskilled use. Loose or bent riggers, Variable rig height and clogs rather than shoes on the stretcher, defined the pleasure of sculling these boats in which a working knowlede of how to secretly tweak the rig of your favourite baot was a real advantage.

Furthur success in school races and the local head races gained promotion to Priviledge Sculls. You would share this with one other boy of similar weight and rig preference to yourself, and effectively it was like having your own scull. No need to book in advance to get the least worst best boat. These were well maintained wooden Mostly Ray Sims or Salters built shells.

The fenny boats were solid wood clnker so I doubt that you are lucky enoughto have aquired one of these. If it is you might well sink it as 11stone was about their maximum.I would very much like to buy it if that is the case!! It might be a modern restricted style from an Oxford college or perhaps Eton Boat house. My other guess is that you have a Wherry which has been home built off one of several American plans. The secret lies in the sliding seat: Is it a modern "lift out" arrangement or is it built into the boat.

In the meantime what do you think of getting a sliding seat frame to strap onto a canoe for those windless days on the river at Fowey or Looe?
Have a look at this link!

http://www.oarsport.co.uk/products/alden_oarmasters.php

There are several similar devices which might be fun to mount on the Windsurfer. Alan Williams on this forum did call them "Air rowers" as I recall in your thread about "Keep Cats in the Olympics."

On the other hand if you have got one of these now that would be reallyexiting!

http://www.uffafox.com/bestboat.htm :lol:
Michael Brigg
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Question!!

I am almost ready to refit Vivette but wanted to ask the following so that I am OK on rules and don't drill holes through the deck that I may need to fill in again and ruin the work!!

The boat came to me having been sailed singlehanded with a turning block on the thwart and this leading across to a jamming cleat on the windward side (reversed so you can click it in and out on your side easily when sailing Garbo style - I want to be alone!!).
Is this legal as having the turning block on the thwart means that you can effectively narrow the slot as the jib sheet is 4" or so further inboard than if you had a fairlead and cleat on the leeward deck. Anyone able to help out?

What's the best arrangement?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I lead the jib down to a fairlead near the front edge of the thwart a couple of inches inside the line of the side tank. The deck is far too far out for good pointing. I've used both on the windward deck cleating and leeward cleating infront of the fairlead. I prefer the leeward method, as even singlehanded I find cleating/uncleating easier, as you can use your foot to run it into the cleat and send a wave down the rope to uncleat, whereas on the deck you have awkward angles. If using blocks down there, the cleat has to be mounted on a very large wooden stand, so maybe the windward deck would be better. Unless you go the ratchet block way (not much use when singlehanded) I'd give blocks a miss down there and use fairleads, as they are less uncomfortable to sit on...
Rupert
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

So basically you are saying Rupert use a fairlead and a jamb cleat on the leeward thwart and use your foot to kick it in to the cleat and keep the decks free of all obstructions (except of course the shrouds). Do you angle the fairlead cleat to make entry easier?